To Product Menager Patrick

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Hello Patrick,
    it's a very nice post. This is a good initiative that has always been missing.
    I would like to refer to it as a long-time player of Runes of Magic and other mmorpgs. I feel like this topic won't reach you, but it's worth trying anyway
    🙂
    I am a Product Owner myself who knows something about planning and publishing.
    First of all, I would like to refer to the words "Timeless Instance I" - changing the HP and DMG of monsters as a timeless instance: well, it doesn't look too good.
    I understand that the team may lack a UX team that would prepare new graphic solutions, so it would be better to skip it.
    Additionally, this forced re-creation of old instances and announcing new ones shows no interest in expanding the game, it's more about forcing the players to change their equipment, and thus spend money on the item shop.
    As for the item shop, some thing should be verified here and there to try to balance it and reduce the pay to win. Paying 15 000 diamonds for refining gems from +20 to +30 is far too much.
    Mistakes, mistakes and even more mistakes. Sometimes it's worth taking two steps back to move forward. I understand that so many years of relying on external programmers has resulted in "spaghetti code" and it is not an easy mission, but maybe it's worth a try. Crashes when teleporting or the inability to attack because of invisible obstacles. This is, of course, a drop in the ocean of repair needs.
    "RoM has been successful for 15 years already" These words caused quite a storm on the forum. The glory years have passed since cap lvl was 60.
    To sum up, the features of the game are: pay to win game mode, errors that prevent basic activities such as fighting, forcing players to change equipment, translation, at least into Polish, that is in a terrible state, and inflation. I remember when I started playing and people's diamonds cost 7k, and now they cost 700k. This could also be solved with little programming effort.
    All the best from the Runes of magic players
    🙂

• i agree with you on the Inflation and the Item Shop issues. but...

First of all, I would like to refer to the words "Timeless Instance I" - changing the HP and DMG of monsters as a timeless instance: well, it doesn't look too good.
    Additionally, this forced re-creation of old instances and announcing new ones shows no interest in expanding the game, it's more about forcing the players to change their equipment, and thus spend money on the item shop.

do we got the same dungeon? NoM hm is quite more different from the low lvl version than "changing the HP and DMG of monsters". and tbh i like that dungeon more than NP, TOS, Suntemple and IBP together.

i hope MA hm will be this good too!
    The effort that was spend for that dungeon (including really fast fixes) are also way higher than those of the last 6 years together so i wanna to thank you, patrick, for this!

the only content i dislike are the really "new" ones... the worldbosses xD

• There also needs to be some MAJOR context in that what Patrick has done and is talking about. This is from Gameforge not Runewaker.

Runewaker are the ppl who develop the maps/quests/models basically 99% of content... until now. This recent stuff has been mostly made from our GM staff absolutely and completely putting the developer to shame.

• I am surprised that Gameforge hasn't found a way to take possession of the rights due to Runewaker's negligence and failure to meet it's obligations. They should have gotten someone else to do development by now. I can only assume that the contract(s) contains more protections for RW than GF, but still-.

• welcome to Frogster . we realize you have a choice in online games and we want you to know that we will do everything on our power to make all this as confusing as possible .

you are free to play ...

• I'll give this my 2 cents too then ;)

I think the nom instance is very, very well done, it's the perfect mix between punishing tactics and gearchecks. The war/mage might shine a tiny bit too bright here (considering the amount of buttons they have to press), for my liking atleast, but overall im extremely happy with how it turned out. It's also interesting that has been decided to only allow 1 run per char per day, in combination with not releasing red stats via proof NPC. This will keep the instance relevant for a lot longer, and makes it worthwhile to run.

Then on the other hand there is the new worldbosses. Of those im a bit less of a fan. I personally think they create a toxic situation where people with expensive PCs (and ppl that are running this specific folder) will run a lot more alts for WB and get more stats/gold that way, than the average player does. All these extra alts will actively help crashing avg PC'ers more frequently. P2w without being p2w if you will. It also incentivizes short bursts of play rather than continued play. In my opinion these new (op) stats would be a perfect reward to revive the mostly forgotten minigames like stomping grounds and/or arcanium arena. I understand this will still reward good PC players more than average PC users, but this seems a lot more balanced to me. This would also result in people being more interested in playing the game for longer, instead of just logging in for their run / WB time. Then add on top of that, that i think these minigames are super fun to, but that's perhaps only me, looking at the state of these minigames.

It's fine that good stats take long to get, but its not so much fun if its via crashfests and pc-checks.

• Hey Patrick,

Road map : first, thanks for your long and detailed post as a road map. We have been asking for this for years and we must recognize the effort !

New instance : Well i don't play often instance but it seems that the NOM refurbished is not too bad. But the mecanism of reset to limit once a day is a problem for people playing short time each day. We used to take our time and play an instance on several days... That shows the difference between people concern with keeping instance relevant preventing huge farming and people playing for fun !

New world bosses : Well i shall say that it is a progress. For years we complain that WB were camped and farmed by few and a new mecanism should be found. You make the effort. It is nice. On the other hand, some improvement should be found in the distribution of rewards for people who crash. I try to participate as often as possible... And since the beginning I have only received one ring and most of the time I have not received any PoM. Crashing, once, twice during combat is painful and reconnecting is horrible... I've heard that some players with many alts doing nothing but being here can receive PoMs and rings, which probably explains the huge crowd. Rewards should be granted for those fighting/healing even if they crash and there should be none for alts pillars leeches.

Peak level : well despite the efforts made it is a way of the cross to go from 101 to 120. The hermit quest takes time, day after day, and often request a team... In a guild those who could help are in NOM to play... The little 101 one saying " hey could you help me with boss XXX in Eternal circle normal mode ? " has few chance ! Perhaps it should be each hour ? Perhaps for some instance it should be easy mode ? Don't know but the way of the cross prevents some new players to stay or old to come back...

PVP games : Well I was fond of arcanium arena and stomping ground... Arcanium arena NPC mechanism and rewards distribution mechanism incite to play AFK... On the other hand, without AFK players, game most of time doesn't start. It is the case for stomping ground. I try to enrole several time to stomping ground last week-ends and couldn't enter... The rewards mechanism on stomping ground was bad too. Players were incite not to fight but just run and gather to center. If you fight you get insulted by others players... A better way could have been a neverending party with map shrinking and growing back and a need to kill one every 5 minutes otherwise you're dead. Reward could then be calculated in proportion of time you stay alive... Of course the team mode should be another instance that the individual mode.

Siege war : well, teams still playing are fewer and fewer... There too AFK mode 50/50 is a pain ! Rewards mechanism should be rethink and reward value too... A guild of alts that doesn't play at all and pollutes the game for people who want to have fun will get the same reward as the good guys who courageously play for an hour and give the enemy a hard time even if they lose at the end...

Some small but easy and valuable improvement could be still done : merits and other stuff (scroll, etc) with a one hour timer... If you crash you don't lose all !

Reward value : The package is obviously obsolet. 20 000 EXP orbs ! Give at least 20 000 PEAK EXP orbs to 101 and more players !

Other games of battle : the other games could be refurbished easily just improving the rewards... Arena could be fun again... Just give something worthy and players will come... Some shells, some peak exp orbs, some mementos, some honor points... Something but something worthy... It is a shame that the bunker game in silver spring, that is the most silly, stupid, easy and boring one give so much compared to pvp games which keep rewards 10 years old ! Have you check the reward of an arena fight ?

;)

"En vérité la Présence était Rose et en forme de Licorne. Mais si puissante était-Elle, que je ne pus la contempler. Aussi, la nommons-nous la Licorne Invisible Rose ; sa présence est trop incommensurable pour que nos faibles yeux la voient et nos faibles esprits la conçoivent. C'est par notre foi que nous savons qu'Elle est Rose, et qu'Elle est une Licorne. Et vraiment ceux qui disent le contraire sont des hérétiques et des infidèles !"

Edited 3 times, last by Renovatio: Orthograph ! ().

• By the way, i forgot this which would be a great improvement !

How it should be :

It is not a big change. Instead of listing every unit of every item in the personal item vault the idea is to list the kind of item and show the quantity available... Like this we will not have to scroll in hundreds of pages but in less than ten...

It is within the reach of any programmer and should have been done like this way from the very beginning !

:S

PS : an a garbage button could be a fine improvement too... It is a damn job to clean the vault taking and throwing one by one what is not needed and takes dozens of pages ! (Example growing potions for plantations in my case.)

"En vérité la Présence était Rose et en forme de Licorne. Mais si puissante était-Elle, que je ne pus la contempler. Aussi, la nommons-nous la Licorne Invisible Rose ; sa présence est trop incommensurable pour que nos faibles yeux la voient et nos faibles esprits la conçoivent. C'est par notre foi que nous savons qu'Elle est Rose, et qu'Elle est une Licorne. Et vraiment ceux qui disent le contraire sont des hérétiques et des infidèles !"

Edited once, last by Renovatio ().

• Hey Patrick !

Thank you for the road map. It is a very nice and appreciated custom you set there !

I react to your post today regarding the 15th anniversary and upcoming events.

This seems great but a few comments nonetheless :

1. Those who are peak level 120 (some for years now) lose XP each time they play ! If one day you decide to unlock beyond level 120 we will be angry at all this lost XP ! Yes we will ! Couldn't you unlock the XP gain for 120 without opening the next summit level ? If you have an peak XP orb and be level 120 you can't even load it ! This should be fixed !

2. Okay, you rebalance the XP necessary for the first levels of the summit... But don't you think that those who struggled month after month to reach level 111 won't curse you ? (:cursing: ? ;( ?) You should recalculate the level reached for those who are already 111, right ?

3. I hope we have some peak orb events on the 15th anniversary... You know most of us work hard during the day to pay for the diamonds :D ! So the quest for the hermit in Logar is just a dream for most of us... except on the weekend !

4. Please say something about the shop's item warehouse (see post above) ! I rage every time I need something in with my crappy internet connection !

Thank you again for your post and this clear road map. :love:

• Very nice to see decent communication like the Frogster days, anyone else remember the actual dev update and gm talk videos?

When it comes to peak levels from 1 to 10 is already very very easy now with the hermit quest change and with bunker pexp. Really doesn't take that much effort to just check in on him every now and then and see what quest is up.
    Some of us just strait grinded all those levels before orbs or those quests it's hilarious how easy it is now, players are just whiney and lazy these days.
    But if they make it even more trivial or even mail out an automatic peak10 orb I wouldn't care, like how many years ago are we talking about at this point lol

My general opinion on how peak levels work currently is very bad. Accuracy is a HORRIBLE thing to gate group content with. Peak levels should increase our stats a lot not be a dungeon gatekeeper. We want the peak1-2 whales to play with others right?

• Some of us just strait grinded all those levels before orbs or those quests it's hilarious how easy it is now, players are just whiney and lazy these days.

Some players are above all workers who work every day to earn a living for their family and play barely an hour a day and a few hours on weekends. No need to be dismissive... When it's possible to check the quest ten times a week that's already a lot. Not everyone live his nose glued to the game screen... If you count, doing 5 hermit's quest a week you'll need years to full fill the peak.

I doubt most players will have patience... We already see several giving up in our guild...

• Some players are above all workers who work every day to earn a living for their family and play barely an hour a day and a few hours on weekends. No need to be dismissive... When it's possible to check the quest ten times a week that's already a lot. Not everyone live his nose glued to the game screen... If you count, doing 5 hermit's quest a week you'll need years to full fill the peak.

I doubt most players will have patience... We already see several giving up in our guild...

I GRINDED those levels(1-10) if not server first was top 3 for first 5 and 10 while working full time construction so I do actually know what I'm talking about. People are legit just lazy these days when it comes to any sort of effort online.

And yeah just checking in on it getting the odd quest in every day or so with a little extra effort on the odd weekend will add up and you'll be peak 10 in no time with very little effort.
    P20 isn't even necessary now or for current coming content

I still hate that without the level the accuracy prevents dps from participating but healers don't need anything. Very bad system but my whole point was that I feel the exp per level with quests/bunker is totally fine currently

• What the actual profit from being peak 20 now? Making game more and more casual is not a good plan. Idk even why would u lower peak lvl requirement for inis, so older players can farm it with 2-3-4 alts? U literally making new inis gear from being semi-rare (how it's actually should be) to some sort of thing that everyone will have in 1-2 month wo any effort. I understand that u make it for newer players but let's be realistic they are too few compared to older ones and making game even more casual will slowly kill it. All point of this game is to grind rare items and stats but when u can get it in 1 month with peak 9 lvl (max is 20 btw lul) u lose all this grind and any point to play this game at all

newbie w/m 8)

• What the actual profit from being peak 20 now? Making game more and more casual is not a good plan. Idk even why would u lower peak lvl requirement for inis, so older players can farm it with 2-3-4 alts? U literally making new inis gear from being semi-rare (how it's actually should be) to some sort of thing that everyone will have in 1-2 month wo any effort. I understand that u make it for newer players but let's be realistic they are too few compared to older ones and making game even more casual will slowly kill it. first of all: a 1+ year grind shouldn't be a gatekeeper for any content in an game.

why would you lower it? maybe because new player don't wanna wait so long and quit when they hit that wall called "peak system"?

how fast you can get the gear doesn't really depend on the peak level. what do you think the game was working before peak? do you think a new dungeon was released and everyone on the whole server had his gear in the first week?

i'm an "older" player and i was one of those, who leveled the first 10 level in sun temple. should i cry cause it's too easy to get peak since there was peak-orb events? or should i cry cause of the peak hunt quest? playing a game alone is pretty boring. every single new player is really valuable!

All point of this game is to grind rare items and stats but when u can get it in 1 month with peak 9 lvl (max is 20 btw lul) u lose all this grind and any point to play this game at all

are you currently peak 15 (the lvl of NoM hm)? this dungeon was released 4 months ago. have you all your gear and stats since 3 months ago? have all people in your guild/party their gear and stats? depending on your logic, everyone with peak 15+ should have everything since 3 monts ago.

• Naughtyboy is correct . its only making it too easy for level 100 chars to be farmed .

gameplay is lost new players are lost .

you have too many alts and on all servers . i do not see any real players being created just more alts that will reach level 100 and beyond in weeks .

i see chars named ( someone ) . that is not good . buying and selling level 100+s .

im not going to use the system and i still believe it should be removed , your alts are lagging our planet on a global scale .

you are all connected to facebook ,twitter, discord . and connecting our world to their lag machines ...too many rwmt .

Welcome to bot world . remove the system thank you very much . we got all that we can use .

• Naughtyboy is correct . its only making it too easy for level 100 chars to be farmed .

gameplay is lost new players are lost .

same for you... are you currently peak 15+? have you all your gear + stats now? i mean... NoM is out since 4 months. if the peak level is the only thing that keeps new guys from farming it, you, as an player who has already gear, tp, titles, pets, cenedrils AND peak, should easily can farm all the stuff you and your guild needs in one month.

you have too many alts and on all servers . i do not see any real players being created just more alts that will reach level 100 and beyond in weeks .

guess why no new guys are starting the game. maybe cause even when they build their gear within an year, they still need one more year to be allowed to use it?

please... make a new char, put your gear on it and, without help from your main char or your guild, level your peak level. would you do it? if not, why?

i see chars named ( someone ) . that is not good . buying and selling level 100+s .

offtopic. peaklevel and alts are different things cause guess what: with lower peak requirements, there won't be more alts.

im not going to use the system and i still believe it should be removed , your alts are lagging our planet on a global scale .

you are all connected to facebook ,twitter, discord . and connecting our world to their lag machines ...too many rwmt .

Welcome to bot world . remove the system thank you very much . we got all that we can use .

then please, do us all a favor and turn your pc and all other devices connected to the internet off :)

• laugh it up prometheus or whatever your name is . keep going and the wizards in online games will carve out germanys heart for it maybe .

you are free to play .