PvE Content in Runes of Magic

• NOTE: This thread doesn't make much sense by itself. It is part of a bigger thread that was split into several pieces to keep discussions on a single subject per thread, otherwise things would get too messy. See the full thread HERE.

• Some boss fights were very well designed [ex: Most of the 55 and below dungeons, Grafu Castle 4th/5th/7th, all of ToSH, KBN 3rd/6th/7th, Bethomia 6th/7th, Belathis 2nd/3rd/5th, Pillars of Morfan 5th, Crypt of Eternity 5th, Bone Peak 2nd/3rd (even though parts of the strat made doing it impossible after a certain amount of time, needed some fixes for bosses 2/3), Madro Troll Nest 4th, Raven Heart 1st (My personal favourite boss in a long time), Vale of Rites 1st/2nd/4th (before nerf).
      • A lot of these instances seemed like they had interesting strats, although general problems with the development prevented us from being able to view them, for example: Grotto of Horror - some of the bosses seemed like they had interesting mechanics if the fight lasted long enough, although the bosses were designed so weak that they were just burned immediately. Also, all of the 92 dungeon bosses seemed interesting although the dungeon was broken for so long, even 3 caps after it was released and endgame, fixes were still being made to it.
      • We know that all the bosses named were the more strat based bosses; this does not mean that instances need to ONLY be purely strat. Having certain DPS check bosses in dungeons is fine, although there must be a balance between the two, not one strat and 6 burns. Bosses with super simplistic strats that lead into a burn do not count as a strat boss. Runes of Magic has a history at this point of making dungeons super burn based, causing the content to be super dull. On top of that, the burn content is super easy to burn.
    • Older instances like HoS always had portals to avoid having to run the entire length of the instance back, a very tedious job especially for a healer which would be very frustrating. Why not reimplement the portal system in the newer dungeons? With this in mind, sigils should disappear upon zoning into dungeons so that they cannot be abused in order to burn bosses
    • World Bosses and Proof of Myths
      • It is nice to have some of the content be open world rather than everything being instance based! Proof of Myths also allow for some stats to be accessible without always needing to clear the endgame content.
      • Proof of Myth events, even though easily and highly exploited by a lot of people, are an absolutely amazing way to drive down the prices of this currency, allowing for a ton of stats to be more accessible to the majority of the community. This reduces the cost of this currency drastically so buying them is not overly expensive, as well as usually most people end up with a decent share from just farming.
      • Sometimes the proof of myth events can be overly dull or tedious. Maybe create some new ways in order to earn them rather than just running super old dungeons a bunch of times everyday.
      • Stop increasing the price of Proof of Myths and simply cycle between stats just like shell stats. All increasing the price does is remove the value this provides as a currency to those not running endgame content (as it will eventually become too expensive for most people, taking away from its value to the mid-game players).
      • Continuously add world bosses every cap to provide more content!
    • Runewaker has the tendency to advertise or have content/gear be viewable to players and then release it DRASTICALLY late. What is the point in showing us it’s coming if you are going to take so long to release it. Content should be viewable/advertised when it is guaranteed to come out as functional as possible soon. We do not need any Veiled Crypt of Kashaylan or Hall of Chaos repeats! The appropriate time should be allocated for working on content to release it functional and on time.
      • The Hall of Chaos legendary weapons were able to be seen for so long and then released when they were out of date and barely viable anymore. It is very frustrating to know that content should be available to you at a certain point in time but is being delayed. I’m sure the player base would rather be blissfully ignorant and not know of its existence until it is ready to be released and functional.
    • Knocking off buffs
      • I understand this was a measure that was taken in order to keep things balanced, setting a buff limit so that people can’t simply superbuff with everything in the game. One major flaw about how this was implemented is that the buff counter that knocks off your buffs should not include your debuffs which it does. There’s also certain buffs that should not be knocked off. I find it ridiculous that one can knock off their Zodiac or their housemaid buffs and then not be able to get those buffs back due to restrictions placed on them within the game.
        • Not only does this not really set back players that much in regards to super buffing, but it is simply frustrating and annoying.
        • (Suggestion) It would be more logical, and moreso balance the burning aspect if people’s short term buffs were knocked off if they were over buffing, aka Caviar Sandwich, Moti Blended Sausage, Unknown Choice (rogues), etc etc.
    • Zones
      • Coast of opportunity was a great idea, and it certainly would be an attractive reason for new players to start playing. The only problem is that if you chose to go about the adding a “speed quest zone” route instead of simply buffing the XP from other zones to streamline the early level questing, you would have to create some sort of incentive to revisit previously created zones so they aren’t just a waste of space. This could be as simple as having a specific NPC that can only be found in zone X. (Examples of zones not ever visited anymore - Ravenfall, Aotulia Volcano, Limo Desert, Northern and Southern Janost Forest, Tergothen Bay, Dragonfang Ridge, Elf/Dwarf Starting Zones, Sascilia Steppes)
        • (Suggestion) Buff the oldest zones in terms of experience and talent points gained from quests. Add incentives to visit them more often even after being endgame.
          • Buffing the XP in the original questline zones would allow players to also have quests available for leveling other classes!
      • Even the NPC for crafting in Weeping Coast was enough for players to revisit that area time and time again.

In this thread you can discuss about adding positives and/or negatives regarding PvE content in Runes of Magic.

Edited 3 times, last by MagALT161o ().

• MagALT161o

Set the Label from Dungeons to Game
  • 1. Remove Wis/Matt from possible proof pulls for mage and healer gear. Literally nobody in the game uses this stat.

2. Make normal mode drop useful stats, and not just from the last boss. As it stands, from anything after Bone Peak (lvl95), useful stats like int/matt, dex/patt, etc. only drop from the last boss in normal mode. And each stat has something like a 7.5% chance to drop. Put this chance on every single boss in normal mode - this would encourage a lot more people to try out the new instances and would lead to more runs in the day and a greater chance of progression for non-endgame guilds.

3. Following on from 2, remove the cr.ap stats from hard mode. Why is it possible for a Harvesting dagger to drop with def/mdef as a stat?

4. Hard modes should be hard. Sun temple was cleared on our server within an hour or so of it being released (the fixed version), and only boss 1 was a real challenge at first. Now it usually dies within 1 minute. The current problem has already been mentioned - bosses do have tactics (and the sun temple ones are actually nice-ish designs) but there is no mechanism REQUIRING you to do the tactic. There should be a balance between burn and non-burn bosses - Vale of Rites got this spot on imo, and also had ways to ensure you had to do the tactic.

5. Why not rehash old instances? And I don't mean just copying the instance layout and giving it a new name. I realise it is a lot of work for the developers to release 2 instances per level cap but imagine if an old instance was given a hard mode every cap. I remember many of these old dungeons were supposed to be given a hard mode for the lvl 65(?) epic weps, but it never happened. Instances like HoS and Grafu (make a new mode) are favourites of many players, and I could see players returning to the game if they ran these instances like they were at their respective level caps but were actually challenging again. Perhaps they could drop stats.

6. Please give mages a set skill that isn't trash. (I am easily at -90% aggro with WA set skill).

7. Relationship short-term buffs should benefit magical DDs as well as physical. I have level 5 disciple relationship which increases my "weapon damage" by 10%. This buff is absolutely useless for magical dps as it does nothing. The buff from marriage also increases weapon damage but once again is only for physical dds. The attack speed buff is also useless for caster magic dps, so make it casting speed as well.

• 1. Remove Wis/Matt from possible proof pulls for mage and healer gear. Literally nobody in the game uses this stat.

2. Make normal mode drop useful stats, and not just from the last boss. As it stands, from anything after Bone Peak (lvl95), useful stats like int/matt, dex/patt, etc. only drop from the last boss in normal mode. And each stat has something like a 7.5% chance to drop. Put this chance on every single boss in normal mode - this would encourage a lot more people to try out the new instances and would lead to more runs in the day and a greater chance of progression for non-endgame guilds.

I think there are other RNG aspects of the game that would be more valuable to players in terms of fixing (i.e plussing), and we can't expect them to remove all the RNG because at the end of the day it is a F2P MMORPG game, but i think there definitely should be an increased drop rate of the few decent stats that come from normal mode as well increasing the chance of getting a decent stat from pulls.

3. Following on from 2, remove the cr.ap stats from hard mode. Why is it possible for a Harvesting dagger to drop with def/mdef as a stat?

I could see why this could be frustrating but farming for stats gives people something to do at least, if all stats dropped right away that aspect would be eliminated. Also some stats that people consider trash sometimes could be used interestingly in siege :P

Yungyeezus/Roxzincrazy/Princewarden

PPK/VVV/Easycompany

How do i control to hide jears?

• Remove Wis/Matt from possible proof pulls for mage and healer gear. Literally nobody in the game uses this stat.

Kiter-gear for lvl 62 Mage in ToSH...

But in general your right.

In my opinion:

- edit the loot tables, so that they´re fitting an typical player distribution ( not 1 out of 4 players wears tank gear e.g. )

-> this will lead to a better item distribution

-> this will automatically also lead to a better stat distribution

- edit the probabilities for dura over 100 so that in the end (in combination with point 1) one would need to run a dungeon ~250 times with his group to get his items and stats instead of now 500 times

- make usefull bossevents which can´t be bypassed but allow fast times when having gear, skill, movement,.. (e.g. B1 suntemple)

- create exiting trash where tanks can´t pull a single mob if they want or pull 20 because they´re doing no damage

- remove barriers from the dungeons which prevent from playing normally (no stairs, no grass which is in sight, no dust from the ceiling which catches your aoe, big rooms instead of smll tunnels)

- new skins (items, mobs, bosses)

- creative dungeon-design (loops, parallel pathways, little jumping games - for example path a like bethomia jumping game / path b 100 trash-mobs)

but this is all RW and therefor most important for GF

never release a dungeon bevore it is rational playable

• 2. Make normal mode drop useful stats, and not just from the last boss. As it stands, from anything after Bone Peak (lvl95), useful stats like int/matt, dex/patt, etc. only drop from the last boss in normal mode. And each stat has something like a 7.5% chance to drop. Put this chance on every single boss in normal mode - this would encourage a lot more people to try out the new instances and would lead to more runs in the day and a greater chance of progression for non-endgame guilds.

4. Hard modes should be hard. Sun temple was cleared on our server within an hour or so of it being released (the fixed version), and only boss 1 was a real challenge at first. Now it usually dies within 1 minute. The current problem has already been mentioned - bosses do have tactics (and the sun temple ones are actually nice-ish designs) but there is no mechanism REQUIRING you to do the tactic. There should be a balance between burn and non-burn bosses - Vale of Rites got this spot on imo, and also had ways to ensure you had to do the tactic.

This! We really need an revision of the difficulty system. At the moment, this is what we have

• easy mode: Just used for XP farming
    • normal mode: Never used at all, sometimes one usefull drop (2 hand healer staff)
    • hard mode: The only mode with usefull drops

What we should have is

• easy mode: Could stay the same, also useful for small guilds to try and explore instances, maybe add some useful stats
    • normal mode: Should be like current hardmode, with similar drops
    • hard mode: Should be much harder (so it is still difficult for "high-end" guilds) and, as a reward, have better drop chances (better stats/better durability) - but not additional items or stats. This is important, so the "high-end" guilds do not get an advantage and it is essentially not necessary to run hard mode, its just to reward players for better skill/equipment with more frequent good drops

5. Why not rehash old instances? And I don't mean just copying the instance layout and giving it a new name. I realise it is a lot of work for the developers to release 2 instances per level cap but imagine if an old instance was given a hard mode every cap. I remember many of these old dungeons were supposed to be given a hard mode for the lvl 65(?) epic weps, but it never happened. Instances like HoS and Grafu (make a new mode) are favourites of many players, and I could see players returning to the game if they ran these instances like they were at their respective level caps but were actually challenging again. Perhaps they could drop stats.

This is also I wished some time ago (DE forum I think). Almost nobody running the current high end instances is familar with the Lv90 instances, let alone lv55 instance events. And the few that can remember would love to play them again. So I think it would even be great if RW would release a "remake" of HoS or similar als only instance for a cap, it would probably be more fun the sun temple was.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• normal mode: Should be like current hardmode, with similar drops
    hard mode: Should be much harder (so it is still difficult for "high-end" guilds) and, as a reward, have better drop chances (better stats/better durability) - but not additional items or stats. This is important, so the "high-end" guilds do not get an advantage and it is essentially not necessary to run hard mode, its just to reward players for better skill/equipment with more frequent good drops

The only issue I have with this is that I feel it takes away from the point of farming hard mode dungeons. In other posts we discuss improving crafted gear to be able to at least farm the second most endgame dungeon, in combination with that and an increased drop rate of good stats from normal modes, I believe that should be sufficient enough to allow players to progress without too much difficulty relative to attaining gear and statting it. I think putting the hard mode gear in normal mode would be a bad idea simply because it takes away from the point of farming hard mode when you can farm normal mode that much faster.

The ideas of adding stats to normal modes and increasing drop rates of those (only yellows, not oranges) is sound. Although I believe the gear of dungeons should remain different per difficulty and simply improve the viability of crafted gear.

Yungyeezus/Roxzincrazy/Princewarden

PPK/VVV/Easycompany

How do i control to hide jears?

• The only issue I have with this is that I feel it takes away from the point of farming hard mode dungeons. In other posts we discuss improving crafted gear to be able to at least farm the second most endgame dungeon

With the current crafting gear you can run now even the highest dungeon hardmode...

What we should have is

easy mode: Could stay the same, also useful for small guilds to try and explore instances, maybe add some useful stats
    normal mode: Should be like current hardmode, with similar drops
    hard mode: Should be much harder (so it is still difficult for "high-end" guilds) and, as a reward, have better drop chances (better stats/better durability) - but not additional items or stats. This is important, so the "high-end" guilds do not get an advantage and it is essentially not necessary to run hard mode, its just to reward players for better skill/equipment with more frequent good drops

Right now the normal mode is the real hard mode since you only have 6 players = less support, less damage. This should be changed, so that it is easier and especially the .. how to say - mid-end-players? .. can run this mode. What i won´t do is give this mode similar drops (items and all good stats - maybe the yellow ones but not the red..) otherwise the "high-end" guilds will just run this mode every 10 mins because it´s still faster and they still get everything and event don´t need 12 people but just 6...

• since you only have 6 players

Oh I forgot to mention, when I said make normal mode like the current hard mode, I also meant it to be for 12 players. Normal mode in its current form is uselessly "hard".

normal mode: Should be like current hardmode, with similar drops

The only issue I have with this is that I feel it takes away from the point of farming hard mode dungeons. In other posts we discuss improving crafted gear to be able to at least farm the second most endgame dungeon, in combination with that and an increased drop rate of good stats from normal modes, I believe that should be sufficient enough to allow players to progress without too much difficulty relative to attaining gear and statting it. I think putting the hard mode gear in normal mode would be a bad idea simply because it takes away from the point of farming hard mode when you can farm normal mode that much faster.

The ideas of adding stats to normal modes and increasing drop rates of those (only yellows, not oranges) is sound. Although I believe the gear of dungeons should remain different per difficulty and simply improve the viability of crafted gear.

My idea was to make the new normal mode basically like the current hard mode (maybe a little easier) so you still cannot speed-farm it.

The reward for the new hard-mode would just be more drops (and more fun because too easy dungeons are quite boring, see Lv80 or Lv100).

Lets say the new normal mode drops on average 2 good stats (int/matt etc.) and 2 100+ durability items and the new hardmode drops on average 5 good stats and 4 100+ items (maybe just add double loot like in the lv60 dungeon). Then farming hard mode (~5 min per boss) is still more rewarding then speedrunning normal mode (~3 min per boss) and also would offer the players some challenging gameplay instead of the dull routine that we currently often have.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Sun temple normal mode is actually a farmable instance, unlike VOR/IBP ones - because the lower defense values mean that m/wl is not needed (nor seeds really), so you can go with a priest instead of a druid, and you don't need support alts/chars. I think this trend should continue - like for IBP normal mode you need tank, healer (has to be a druid), m/wl and probably wl/m. So that leaves you with 2 dps spots, and those will have to be pretty decent DPS. Will those DPS really need stuff from normal mode? My guess would be no.

If there was a new difficulty mode then I think the last boss in that mode should drop something interesting. Perhaps like in the past they could drop red stats with 3 stat values, as it wouldn't provide a gamebreaking boost to those who can run that instance. The downside of that would be the ability to buff to high HP values in pure pve gear - although that is already possible to a certain extent. Or, the last boss could drop proof of myths for each party member, or maybe a guarantee of a HD item.

If normal mode stays as it is then it is basically useless. Sun temple is unfortunately the exception to the rule, and I don't expect future dungeons to be made with lowish defense values.

• Novar

Closed the thread.