Progression in Runes of Magic

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • NOTE: This thread doesn't make much sense by itself. It is part of a bigger thread that was split into several pieces to keep discussions on a single subject per thread, otherwise things would get too messy. See the full thread HERE.

• Great equipment/gearing system relative to creating gear, simply things that need to be fixed [plussing too RNG and becomes too much of a P2W money grab (especially with +20s and +30s), stats are too hard to obtain for most players due to inflated economy, as well as endgame gear being too hard to obtain for most players]
    • RNG Galore: Makes it overly difficult and/or expensive to build one’s character
      • One of the main issues with this game is that everything is RNG. RNG item drops, RNG durability, RNG stat drops, RNG pulls, RNG plussing, etc etc. This directly incites the pay to win as well as frustration among players in this game. If you don’t wait for OD gear, you have to essentially spend a tax on your gear in order to run content that could damage your gear. If you do wait, you could potentially be waiting months or even longer in order to attain a full set of gear. The plussing cap is continuously increasing as time goes by and the success rates are decreasing drastically alongside it. Having stat pulls and gear drops be RNG is normal for an MMO, although the durability aspect as well as plussing your gear so high is not only far too expensive, but overloads the game with RNG.
    • Too much pay to win:
      • It is virtually impossible to do anything without diamonds or the item shop. There is no way anyone would be able to clear any of the endgame raids without puris, plussers, charges etc. It is virtually impossible to be endgame without high amounts of diamonds invested into your character. Either a drastic change needs to occur to Runes of Magics business model, or some sort of F2P method needs to be introduced in order to get some diamonds. Having a popular community that is happy with the game will in turn cause people to spend money on things as little as cosmetics or things to improve their gaming an experience. 500 people spending 10 dollars each is more money than 5 people spending 100 dollars. Focus on keeping your player base happy rather than soaking up as much money as you can and letting the game decline (prime example of that is Fortnite, people spend hundreds of dollars just on cosmetics that provide no competitive advantage!).
    • Legendary Gear was a great addition through the HoE set as it essentially provided alternative endgame content that was to be run alongside the current mainline dungeon.
      • More of these types of dungeons should have been released! And on time! (No Hall of Chaos repeats please)
      • Ensure that the sets from these “Legendary Dungeons” are in someway viable even as singular pieces. The problem with Hall of Fire or Hall of Water was that their gear was too similar/not as good as the current mainline instance gear, so it was not worth farming. This could be due to the dungeons being released late (e.g. Hall of Chaos), although say there was one piece that didn’t break any other gear sets that was very strong (for example a damage cape, higher crit damage ring, etc), farming the one piece from the new dungeon would have been done. This would’ve provided more, as well as a variety of content for players to have to farm, giving them more things to do.
    • Crafted Gear: Mostly useless gear, especially with the added damage pants sets.
      • Crafted gear right now as a whole is mostly useless. There are occasional pieces of gear that are useful and viable, although for the most part it’s irrelevant. This prevents people who are not endgame or are not spending a lot of money on the game from becoming endgame players. There are so many people we’ve encountered throughout our time in Runes of Magic who were decent players and probably better than a lot of endgame geared players, although they didn’t have the resources to purchase the endgame gear/stats that were for sale. I’m not saying make crafted gear the best gear or even equivalent to the best gear. Although we believe that people should at least be able to run the second most endgame dungeon and work their way up with that type of gear. I promise you the majority of the population in the current RoM won’t even be able to complete Crypt of Eternity Hard Mode and that’s absolutely ridiculous. I understand that a lot of the reason for that could be due to player ability, especially for the 5th boss, although all the bosses before that should not be an issue even though people still can’t do it. We see people who even struggle burning Grafu Hard Mode and in this current era of RoM that struggle should not exist. The addition of viable crafted gear would allow people to at least grind to work for their gear and eventually become endgame, rather than being stuck where they are forever.
    • Item shop sales, diamond sales, and xp/tp events happened quite often and regularly which is good for the community.
    • (Suggestion) Maybe add some sort of instant level cap vouchers in the item shop in order for new players to have an easy way to tryout new class combinations.
      • Many games have this as it is a good way in order for newer players to experience other class combinations.
      • This does not provide any sort of competitive edge or pay to win aspect to the item shop, as well as it is a good way for people to experience more of the game without repeating the same tedious questline.

In this thread you can discuss about adding positives and/or negatives regarding game progression.

Edited 2 times, last by MagALT161o ().

• I pretty much agree with the OP. Not sure what RNG is though. The plussing thing is definitely out of hand. Refining gems to 12 were sufficient. I understand you need to sell diamonds to operate the servers and pay the staff, but this was a stupid idea. Cap the next refining gems to +12 for gear above level 100, and let's move on.

Low level crafted gear was AWESOME. What happened?

Level cap vouchers would prevent the P2W player from learning his/her class. You can already buy gazillion-point thingies when they go on sale. For the voucher to make sense for GF it would have to be priced somewhere near Bill Gates's checkbook balance.

• Too much pay to win:

Currently, the F2P players buy diamonds from sellers by gifting which is complicated and risky, harming both buyers and sellers. Reintroducing diamonds trade into the auction house would turn the cash shop essentially into an (expensive) gold-shop for every F2P player. Of course, you then should also adjust the gold earned by daily quests etc to stop players from exploiting the marked with huge amounts of gold.

Not sure what RNG is though.

RNG stands for Random Number Generagor is commonly used in gaming community to describe the random aspects of games (cf.praying to RNGesus).

I dont particularly like RNG but I understand it is sometimes necessary and can be nice. Everybody likes winning the lottery sometimes, just remember the last time you went from +12 to +20 with 8 stones. The problems are

1. Too low chances: Recently, you have almost always negative experience when plussing items since the sucess rate is so low and you can loose verything again (e.g. from +28 to +22 or something). This is a very toxic mechanic and it could be fixed by introducing ways to circumvent the randomness - e.g. add more expensive plus-stones that either always work ("perfect stones") or ones that at least do not go down.
    2. RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG: You get an random item with a random durability. When you have a good item, the plussing adds a few more layers of RNG. I think this is too much RNG.

Low level crafted gear was AWESOME. What happened?

For the very low-level gear (Lv25 Ventis etc.), it was just great and the instances did not drop that many good things. Recently, the instance gear got better I think and critical hitrate go more important, so crafting gear became less viable.

Level cap vouchers would prevent the P2W player from learning his/her class.

Easy fix: You can only use or buy the item when you have at leasst one/two max level classes on the character/account.

One point I would like to add:

I think the progression for the equipment could be improved by having a reworked difficulty system (see my comment on the PvE post). If you allow players to clear the (current or previous) instance (not on the hardest diffculty, maybe even a useful easy mode) with crafting gear so they can farm better gear and then try the hard(er) mode(s), you can create a progression through which everybody can get to the top without having to buy the equipment from already high-end guilds.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Another option I have suggested before is to add a fourth mode to instances. Keep Hard, Normal, and Easy, add Solo. I acknowledge that it is not an easy thing to do. Strats would have to be reworked so they can be completed by a single player. You can't complete the color bass in HoS alone no matter good you are. Same with Jennie Giant in ToSH (actually, I have never been in a group that cleared her, because we cannot seem to get spaced far enough apart to avoid double damage from her arrow showers). Bosses need to be solo-able at or near level. I can solo WA, RK Bronze (maybe silver-I haven't tried) and KT hard on my main (R/M) but that would be it.

The gear drops would have to be adjusted as well. Since hard mode gear on a 12-toon instance gives you a 1-in12 chance of getting what that boss is dropping, there should be only a 1-in-12 or maybe 1-in-10 chance of getting anything purple to drop, and no guarantee what drops other than the same items that drop in hard mode.

This would help gearing secondary classes, alts and guild members. Most groups have loot rules that say something like <need on primary class, greed on secondary class>. If you can run solo and spam it all day, you can get mementos and gear. ABLs would have to be purchased to move that good gear to your alts or guildies, but at least it could be done. It would also give you that OD gear for your main, IF you run it enough times, just like card farming.

Sure, it's a group game, but sometimes you buddies aren't on, or in my case, I find myself being pulled away from the group because Fido and Bowser need to pee and I don't have a fenced yard to turn them loose in. I am not comfortable holding up the group for fifteen or twenty minutes simply because my daughter is at work and not available to take care of her animals.

• I feel that gear in this game after the release of Easy, Normal & Hard modes has been messed up. Crafted gear stopped being relevant after lvl 60. Actually, all aspects of the game have been skewed after the introduction of the different difficulties. Here's a simplistic suggestion:

1. Easy mode - ANY quest that requires an instance run should be easy mode. No main line quest should require anything higher.

2. Easy mode should be clearable with prior instance Normal gear. Bosses should drop non-set pieces that have 80% chance Green + Yellow and 20% Yellow. The stats should run the gamut from worthless -> really good. Last boss should also have a chance to drop Orange. ( very low chance )

3. Normal mode should be clearable with Easy gear. Bosses should drop set pieces that have 80% chance of Yellow and 20% Green + Yellow. The stats should run the gamut from worthless -> really good. Last boss should also have a chance to drop Orange. ( 50% chance )

4. Hard mode should be clearable with Normal +6 sets. Bosses should drop set pieces that are either Yellow ( 95% ) or Orange ( 5% ). Last boss should drop Orange ( 100% ).

5. Crafted Purple gear ( 80% ) should run 80%-100% of Easy mode attributes with the same Easy mode stat possibilities.

6. Crafted Brown gear ( 15% ) should be between Easy and Normal modes and be set pieces with the same Easy mode stat possibilities.

7. Crafted Orange gear ( 5% ) should be between Normal and Hard modes and be set pieces with the same Easy mode stat possiblities or non-set pieces with a chance for a random Orange stat. ie, gloves w/ green, yellow & orange stats.

I would recommend RW require mats from the instances be consumed regardless if the crafted item was successful or not.

It's not perfect, but I think most players would welcome the opportunity to work on progression & maybe get more crafters out there.

• Too much pay to win:

It is virtually impossible to do anything without diamonds or the item shop. There is no way anyone would be able to clear any of the endgame raids without puris, plussers, charges etc. It is virtually impossible to be endgame without high amounts of diamonds invested into your character. Either a drastic change needs to occur to Runes of Magics business model, or some sort of F2P method needs to be introduced in order to get some diamonds. Having a popular community that is happy with the game will in turn cause people to spend money on things as little as cosmetics or things to improve their gaming an experience. 500 people spending 10 dollars each is more money than 5 people spending 100 dollars. Focus on keeping your player base happy rather than soaking up as much money as you can and letting the game decline (prime example of that is Fortnite, people spend hundreds of dollars just on cosmetics that provide no competitive advantage!).

This is my main concern as new player too. I started to be heavily involved into this game and in one of my videos I promised I'll never buy power from cash shop. I already spent 25 euros on mounts and I will probably spend 10 times more in future if :

!! COMPANY THAT RUNS THE GAME KEEPS ME HAPPY !!

I'm afraid that we will have to accept that there will always be some sort of pay to win to certain aspect.

I don't want RoM ending up like Wildstar... BUT:

- implementing something like Trion did for it's games (Rex, Apex...) where I (a paying player) can buy it and put it on Auction House for desired amount of gold for others (free players) to buy it and get diamonds.

I find this buying via gift to risky and unreliable...

- implement something that even most pay to win game has, Allods Online. Currency exchange, gold -> diamonds and do your best to keep it at a fair rate.

I still have good time here, but I'm afraid that might change when I get to endgame if something isn't done. I probably won't have problems because I have luxury to spend money on game and I can change my opinion and buy "power"... but with whom I'll play if you loose entire playerbase due to heavy pay to win ??

I know you are smarter than that Gameforge... cmon...

• - implementing something like Trion did for it's games (Rex, Apex...) where I (a paying player) can buy it and put it on Auction House for desired amount of gold for others (free players) to buy it and get diamonds.

They had this years ago - you could sell diamonds in the auction house. But they temporarily (TM) disabled it.

- implement something that even most pay to win game has, Allods Online. Currency exchange, gold -> diamonds and do your best to keep it at a fair rate.

There is such a thing (10 diamonds to 350k gold iirc) but normal players pay you way more (150k+ on old servers). The problem would be it introduces even more gold onto the servers and we already have way too much gold / inflation.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• PUT dias back in ACTION HOUSE with control of gold / dias ration that is change weekly or montly

TO use USE ACTION HOUSE for BUY/SELL betwen servers (with a gold/ratio betwen servers or gold diference)

*the new server is harder with no stats with normal prices so old ghear from somene is good for new players

Put LEGENDARY craftmaking a god way to suport craftmakers and suport players who dont play like non-stop play and harder to make

THE LAST IS THE REMOVEING THE DROP FROM GEMS (yes make a litle harde to make, or raize failure ) STOP with the drop the plusing to 1

• I still have good time here, but I'm afraid that might change when I get to endgame if something isn't done. I probably won't have problems because I have luxury to spend money on game and I can change my opinion and buy "power"... but with whom I'll play if you loose entire playerbase due to heavy pay to win ??

I know you are smarter than that Gameforge... cmon...

They're not. The reason the game was put on Steam was because the regular servers pretty much died.

• what about just put new lvl cap finaly ingame? cmon lolz

ppl not buy dia when half year ago done all set weapon...or is buy self usage not for sell ...what they do whit more gold when cant spend it?

• 9 years and this game hasn't made any progress in making the game any better for the consumer, hence why it was about to die . I kinda feel like steam was their last option to pull people back , honestly either they don't pay attention to current game situations or they just don't care anymore and just wanna ride it out and take as much money in as they can. If they did want to fix the game... it is pretty simple ..ask for permission and give credit to all the addon creators and assimilate them into the game at least the good ones , xbar, pbinfo ,qframs, smartbb ,lootamatic.wowmap etc. Second if you can't find a way to help stop the crashing find some hot shot devs straight out of collage looking to make a name or get some experience to do it .. heck they would prolly do it for free too just for the experience gain. This one might be the most important .... Take purified fusion stones out of the item shop .... seriously that should be sold by npc or quested or mini game reward .Everything else can stay in the shop as it's not game breaking more of a buy if you really want not a need, instead focus on breathing new life into the item shop like new skins , animations like emotes special emotes something like you would see from fortnite and other quality of life items. I don't think they understand that people hate micro transaction stuff , everyone is hating on EA for their micro transactions but this is so much worse. You would prolly make more money by doing the things I said because it would keep people around instead of pushing them away. This game is fun in a lot of ways and has potential but its literally squandered due to lack of effort/laziness/greed. Please wake up GF game almost died once .. let's bring this game back to life.

• Gee, Kratos- let me answer the easy one first. The puries are sold by an NPC in Varanas Central and several other places throughout the game.

Now- If you hate this game soooo much, why keep playing? Just go away and leave it for the rest of us who still enjoy it. The crashing issue is a memory bleed that is buried so deep int the core programming, it has been determined already that we are stuck with it. That's been discussed over and over in the forum.

Addons increase the amount of space the game takes up in your RAM. There is nothing wrong with allowing players to load the ones they want. All of the most popular MMOs use this same approach.

We already have animated emotes. I kick my friends regularly.

Edited once, last by Grumpdaddy: typo error ().

• Doesn't change the fact that new players spend a lot more on diamonds than old ones do, meaning more income.

Doesn´t change the fact that old players would spend a lot more diamonds if there would be something worth spending them on. But what could this be without new content? Should they build a 4th and 5th equip since they´re finished with their regular gear for 1 year now?

We need new Content !

• We need new Content !

Yes, we were getting a new zone about every six months. Now, at level 100, perhaps it has simply been decided to slow it down to once a year. I am just a player and not the developer or the publisher, but I would predict the last island of the archipelago to open before Christmas. How often does WoW do it? Without being a WoW player, I would guess it doesn't release often either at this point.

• perhaps it has simply been decided to slow it down to once a year

And why should GF do that?

I mean - RW ok ~> they are not fast enough and maybe are dealing with the 427.364 reported bugs.

But why GF? They´re loosing players every day this sh... goes on. People who would spend money if there was something worth to do this - new content - new equip...

• perhaps it has simply been decided to slow it down to once a year

And why should GF do that?

I mean - RW ok ~> they are not fast enough and maybe are dealing with the 427.364 reported bugs.

But why GF? They´re loosing players every day this sh... goes on. People who would spend money if there was something worth to do this - new content - new equip...

Because it is common for older games to do so. It now takes significantly longer for a new player to reach cap.

Losing players is also a normal thing for any MMO, just as viewership drops on TV shows season after season. The secret is getting new players into the game. All the "this game sucks" posting on the forum makes it harder for GF to do that.