Client crashes every 10 minutes

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Hi!

It is no a secret that our RoM crashes always but with variable period.

My PC is good enough even for Cyberpunk 2077 on ultra video settings with 90FPS. So problem is not in hardware. I have 32GB of RAM but sometimes client.exe crashes with RAM overload errors. But free RAM is more than 50% at this moment in OS. I think that our client is very old and it create something like runtime container to execute in. This container get some amount of memory from OS(not more than 2 GB) and if I have a lot of objects in game this container overcommited by RAM with further crash issue. I use game on SSD drive.

After 7(seven!!!) crahses during 15 minutes on SW I have tried some actions:

1. I reduce graphics settings to minimum.

2. I tried to "Fix" client/reinstall client.

3. I tried to remove all of addons.

4. I tried to edit settings for all EXE files of RoM and set up compatible with WinXP/Win7/Win8 modes successively.

5. I renew all of Visual C++ and .NET Framework tools.

6. I reinstall Windows 10.

All these actions didn't solve problem.

After that I tried to launch RoM from Linux OS with Wine. It also did crashes.

I tried to maintain isolated Windows 7 in virtual machine environment and execute RoM there. There was nothing positive results.

There is error in client.exe with ntdll.dll in Windows core in the vast majority. I took this info from Windows logs.

I don't know what to do more to solve this problem. I have more than 10 crashes during 1 hour of SW. I always have 1-2 crashes in hour during PvE playing. What should I do to fix it?

I noticed that it depends a lot on teleport times by Snoop. The more teleports, the higher the probability of crash.

Are here any technical admins? Who can help me?

• Not really a fix but memory cleaners like Cleanmem can force textures to unload.
    I'm also running am5/ddr5 there should obviously be no RAM issues but you explained it perfectly with the container thing and the 2gb cap.

Running that program and selecting 'clean memory now' and 'clean file cache now' after every teleport can MASSIVLEY stop crashes.
    Last flower festival I had 5 clients open and teleported around over 150 times in a row(Middle of Dalanis/Varanas/TB/OS too) for hours without crashing by doing this.

• Thanks for advise of Cleanmem. It works. It cleans memory allocated by Client.exe process. I use it by hot key. But there are another crashes that caused error with "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" as it written in system logs. As I understand we can't do anything with it.

Maybe here will be any comments from admins about this problem?

• You don't mention how much VRAM. I went from 2 to 8 on my last upgrade and it makes a world of difference. You probably have enough. I have heard Linux users say that they run the game without ever crashing.

• If an actual dev posts here I'll start a new hardcore ironman character lmao

It's been forever pretty sure we're on our own, great job narrowing everything down

I also see the ntdll.dll crashes in my logs. Reading up on it a bit there's quite a few things that can be causing that.

Exception Code: c0000005

Am told those things that end with 005 are often rights/permissions/access denied kinds of things.
    Gonna mess around with environment variables and some other junk. Will update here if I make any progress of course

• You don't mention how much VRAM. I went from 2 to 8 on my last upgrade and it makes a world of difference. You probably have enough. I have heard Linux users say that they run the game without ever crashing.

I have AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT with 8GB VRAM if you meant Video RAM. And I have tried to turn on and off swap in windows but it doesn't affect.

How these Linux RoM gamers run this client? PlayOnLinux, Wine or other?

• I have heard Linux users say that they run the game without ever crashing.

I used to run RoM on a Linux machine a good while back. Performance was surprisingly good, but I definitely still crashed, though perhaps not as frequently.

Addons can make a world of difference to reduce crashing. I used to have quite a few installed, but nowadays I only use about 5 or 6.

Inferiority Complex - Original wearer of the Snow Combat Drum!

W/R/K, S/M/R, M/P/W, P/W/S since 2008 on Siochain // M/P/S & W/R/P on Osha

Everyone's name is better than mine! :(

• Rom on its 32 bit client runs better on old hardware

Also there is a "forbidden" folder that massivly reduces crits. (Ask in your guild, someone will for sure share it)

There are a few checks in the grafics settings you can make.

Mostly reduced view will solve crits so you can run better textures.

Removing all effects is always positive.

And yea mem clean is key. Runes lets all textures exist as filecorpses in your ram and never cleans it even if you leave a zone. So it just stacks textures in ram until it crashes due to 32bit client limitations......

Its not a bug. Its a feature.....

Came is called crits of magic :p

• Rom on its 32 bit client runs better on old hardware

Every time I upgrade I get better textures, higher possible detail levels, and fewer crashes. Last year I stepped away from Intel again. I have a Ryzen5 5600 and a Radeon 570. I have 48gigs of DRAM and 8gigs of VRAM. I am running graphics on ROM with water reflection checked, Water refraction checked, bloom checked, shadow detail, sky detail, Texture detail,terrain texture, and Terrain shader all the way up. Character detail is medium-high. Distance view is my only real compromise- it's at the center of the slider.On ocassion, I crash within a minute, but the vast majority of the time I can run a dozen alts through butterflies without losing one. There is a thing in this game called the "Invidia bug." If you're running a gforce GPU it will benefit you to switch.