Forum permanently shut down on 13.07.2018.

• GF couldn't keep the old forums up any longer due to [..] the law (we were already in violation when GDPR became law and we were still on the old forums...there was at least a 2 week overlap).

What law exactly and what in there, preatty please? I just posted passages of "the law", you are referring to but fail to mention why that one would touch ANYTHING. This law, again, is about internal data processes. Internal usage (!). Not forums. That doeasn't have anything to do with the law - at - all. Look up on still online 2009 linking araound forums on the net, that is NOT the matter.

Of note - the new norm is to have one forum for one game. This is one way that Gameforge is going to save resources and time. Before this switchover I would estimate that there were at least 500 forum softwares running on a several servers. Now, there's like 100 or maybe less running on a couple. Saves time, saves money, saves the environment.

One forum for one game was established already with making the old one "read-only" - and one forum is destroyed already by going to Steam, since folks will post there as well. Apart from other sourses about runes. I think you mean the policy "One BY US RUN forum for any game" - that is alrealy implemented with the "read-only" on the old forum!

400 less running forum softwares?! How many please does it take to have "read only" only going? I mean, there's websites suggesting me 5 bucks a month for "read only", but I guess they're all wrong? oO

After all that, all I want REALLY WANT AN ANSWER TO is: How is GDPR restricting open forums - QUOTE PLEASE, thank you.

• GDPR: wbb3 can't be made compliant. (old forum software version). And because GF seems to be no exception here to many other companies around the world, of course final GDPR compliance was rushed instead of properly doing it over a long time. Surprise. :whistling: I'm not sure which data exactly in the forum would not be GDPR compliant - on the surface, a forum is a forum. I suppose it's more to do with proper deletion of users and data attached to it should someone request the deletion of his account or a complete excerpt of the data. Also, since wbb3 is EOL for years, nobody ever even looked into it. You don't optimize stuff to run on an i486 anymore, too ...

Saito already answered that. WBB3 cannot be made to be compliant. Part of GDPR is the data stored on the forums as well as the ability for users to delete their own user accounts and control how their data is used. The licensing and terms of service for WBB3 does not include any provisions for GDPR, namely, for user's to delete their own account or personally identifiable content (their own posts they may or may not have put personal information in from years ago).

I suspect this was a business decision - one entirely up to Gameforge to research and implement. It was likely far cheaper and cost less resources to simply recreate forums rather than upgrade them through 2 major release versions as well as who knows how many minor and hope for the best (you can't just go from 3 -> 4 -> 5. You have to go 3->3.1->3.2->...->4->4.1->4.2->...->5). Who knows what kind of broken crap we would have had.

Since this topic has been beaten like a dead horse enough, I'm going to close it.

The points to take away from this thread are:

* The old forums, read only or not, were not compliant with GDPR. There was personally identifiable information on the forums that users had no option to delete, up to and including their entire account.

* Upgrading the forums through several versions was not feasible. The solution to GDPR compliance had to be fast and swift, lest Gameforge get sued or fined.

* these are the new forums. We gave sufficient time (2 weeks?) to copy all the data you needed off the old forums before they were shut down.

* This is what it is. Like it or not.

/closed.

• Aqualink

Closed the thread.