I've been gone a bit and now am seeing a lot of hate towards the peak level system...
How about a system where you can enter a special "peak level" version of every instance? This system would be available from level 10 on...
1. This instance sets your max level to the instance level.
2. Gear and stats are restricted to the gear and stats available at the time of that instance release.
3. Each boss will have a chance to drop bound peak tokens that have different values ( roughly the instance level ). Create new currency in the currency tab.
4. Each person has 1 peak level clear per instance daily, like hos/zs/dl
5. Progressive 1k peak tokens can be turned in for a peak level... so, lvl 1 = 1k, 2 = 2k, etc...
Something that could be added as well to make this system worthwhile would be a "Peak Bonus" tab. Every Peak level gives your toon 1 "Peak Bonus" point.
This point can be used to permanently add 0.1% - 5% ( random ) to any of the following:
1. Individual stat ( str, int, wis, dex, stam )
2. Physical attack
3. Magical attack
4. Physical dmg ( 1-3% )
5. Magical dmg ( 1-3% )
6. Physical defense
7. Magical defense
8. Physical crit rate
9. Magical crit rate
Let's say you add to str & roll 1.3% @ Peak lvl 1 and you add 2.2% @ Peak lvl 2 then str would get a 3.5% permanent bonus.
Peak level will only be used in combat calculations.. so even if you are Peak lvl 4 and level 51 you cannot wear lvl 55 gear. OTOH, you'd be considered a lvl 55 toon when fighting in regards to hit, miss, crit, etc...
Just a thought on how gf could make something horrible into something nostalgic and fun.