RoM Etiquette - We can do better

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Lately I've been talking to several people concerning various aspects of the game. One issue that almost always comes and is a thorn in the side of most people is etiquette. What exactly do I mean? Well let us all turn to page 347 of the dictionary.

etiquette

[ˈedəkət, ˈedəˌket]

NOUN

1. the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group. "the rules of etiquette are changing" · [more] synonyms: protocol · polite behavior · good manners · manners · acceptable behavior · accepted behavior · proper behavior · code of behavior · rules of conduct/behavior · decorum · form · good form · courtesy · politeness · civility · propriety ·

This problem has been around at least 11 years and I have never seen it addressed in the forums. I always hated being lectured so I'm not trying to make this sound like one. That said, I am well aware that it comes across that way. Sorry but it needs talked about.

THE ISSUE : Players being in the way of other players.

The clutter of players huddled around the npcs and mailboxes and other places where people need easy access to is not necessary about 95% of the time. Yes there are times when we all need to unload or send a bunch of items through the mail or dump stuff in our house bank. I get that and it is perfectly cool. That is not what people are upset about.

One of the issues is people parking right on top of an npc such as the guild castle npc. We all understand and have done it, myself included, is to pull up to a place and go to far and cover it up. That happens so some of us back up right away and I can almost hear them saying "Whoops my bad" as they created space between themselves and the object. Awesome and needs no apology. On the other side of the coin there are those who will sit on top of an npc while standing on their rune disc for hours as if to say, "Hey everybody look at me on my Rune disc". Maybe that isn't why but I have yet to have somebody give me a good reason for that.

Now this is the point in this topic where some of you are wanting to say, "You can shift-click on the npc and get to talk or enter" This is very true and most people who have been here over a year already know that. That is not the best answer to the issue. Why oh why should hundreds of players be forced to shift click all day long instead of one player taking one second to move away? Never heard a good answer to that question either. Key part of that question being "good answer". When people reply with the shift click stuff it most often gets filed away in my mind as a guilty plea,

We can all do better.

I know unintentional accidents happen. That is fine. I have done it to. I login a character then forgot something and return later and see I'm right on a transport npc and forgot I crashed there. Stuff happens and we fix it because we can do better.

Another issue is just the total clutter in places that may either be a family of alts or half a guild. No clue but they get all huddled around places. Example: For quite some time now there has been a group, no names needed, filling the space between the housemaid and guild castle npc in lower west varanas. They hang out there all day, every day. They are in the way and rarely do they wander away. All they would need to do is wander across the street giving easy access for others. I've seen people park their alts nicely across the street. Thank you. I've seen a player with several alts at the mailbox in V central but does a nice job of backing away so as not to look like he is stealing your mail. Good job and thank you.

Some other trouble spots are by Jess Hays and people getting Haidon's Catalysts. Lately people have been much better about standing on poor Jess but there is still the issue of a string of alts who will not put away their newbie pets. Makes the area look like a Firefly hatch on a warm summer evening. Don't get me wrong here, I have no problems with alts but they can get in the way and their pets even worse.

We can do better.

The other place that comes to mind is when we are being "Research Experts" in Kashayland. It is an awkward setup around that table anyway. I get it but standing on the table or on top of Jenn Shadoli just isn't a working situation for most. Also letting pets run around there unsupervised is a problem. Pets in general anywhere close to a heavy traffic area should be put away. Definitely Wardens' pets are troublesome.

So based upon the keys we got for our mailbox gift today, it appears the Secret Garden may be about to appear again. Do I even need to mention what a cluster that is? Not just and the garden npc but standing over on top of Convokenz Rushman (sp) does not qualify as getting out of the way. I either back up by the edge of bridge or use the handy option of returning to player list or logging out. We can only go in the garden one time a day so why sit in the way 24 hours until next run??

Look, I don't want to sound mean or scolding about these things. I have been guilty myself but am trying to put forth the effort because I can do better. We really need to be polite to each other until siege starts anyway :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this book, well except those who don't even bother to read forums and would rather login and ask "What is this thing for and what do we do with it" and it has been posted in the forums for several day.

Hey woah that's another day and another book.

I welcome your thoughts, suggestions, input and any other etiquette related issues I may have omitted.

Have a great day everybody

• ,,,you are partially right and more of it wrong..

Shift+TAB ..or mouseover solve NPC problem..it is part of game,,it is implemented in game ..simply cos game braking laws of physics and 2or more bodies can occupy same place...

...about etiquette ...

Gameforge AG | The games...scroll down to age part and read it...

Runes of Magic - Age Rating (igdb.com)..this part is even better...

both links are obligatory for gameforge...

Main thing is ...this game isnt for younger of 12...

• ,,,you are partially right and more of it wrong..

And how wrong are you?

Shift+TAB ..

Goes in reverse order through all enemies, and not though friendly targets ... which doesn't help at all. So, that's wrong.

But maybe you meant CTRL+TAB, which goes in normal order through all friendly targets. But that is including the whole newbie firefly hatch and all of the warden pets and all the other pets ... which is part of the described issue. So, still somewhat wrong.

or mouseover solve NPC problem..it is part of game,,it is implemented in game

And speaking of SHIFT+left or right mouse: It does not solve the issue with the pets ... as decribed in the issue. Also wrong.

Well, I have to admit, I have rarely seen any annoying player or pet masses anywhere lately. So I don't really see the described issue. With all that talk about etiquette I expected a more deep topic, and not just careless character placement. But I agree, that in particular players with several toons/twinks should pay more attention about where they place all their characters.

• I've dealt with every single thing listed and have to agree with you. It's usually the same person over and over for each issue too.

Some people will always be Aholes though and just not care about anyone else. There's not much any of us can do, it is what it is.