Why does the launcher give me the "Install" button instead of the "Play" button!?

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • So I've been playing RoM for more than a week without issue, and I was even playing earlier today. I exited the game, went to eat, did some other stuff, and now I sit down to play again and starting the game opens up the launcher as if it's a completely new install (it opens to the "Home" page instead of the "Library" page as usual), and going to the RoM tab on the Library page gives me an "Install" button instead of a "Play" button! What in the world happened? I most definitely didn't uninstall the game in the past few hours. I wasn't even at my computer (nor was anyone else).

The game folder still seems to be there and everything looks normal, I guess, but I tried launching the game directly with the RunesOfMagic.exe file and nothing happened.

Please help! I can't spend the time or data to redownload the entire game again! It took nearly a full day to do it last time! And I'm not sure this is what I need to do anyway.

• Oh sh.. i thought it was my problem only cause i was messing with the clients language and now I'm reinstalling all. My advice then, wait for a while.

Crycry R/M/Wd/W/S/D

Grümpy Wl/Ch/M/P/R/W

Just an old and humble legend :)

• I had the same problem, here is how i solved it.

I don't have Runes of Magic installed on my C:\ drive but on my faster SSD drive D:\

It seems the launcher checks if this folder exists:

Code
    1. C:\Program Files\Runes Of Magic

After i created the 'Runes Of Magic' folder myself in 'C:\Program Files' i could play again.

Thus now i have an empty folder 'Runes Of Magic' in my 'C:\Program Files' folder.., i hope when there is a new update of RoM it won't install it to my C:\ drive but to my D:\ drive.

But hey, it's RoM, we always get these kind of easter eggs... X/

• Had this before, just close the gameforge client and restart it.

Yeah, that was the first thing i tried

As second i tried to resolve it with a reboot of my computer

As third i tried to find the answer on our gameforge forums

As forth i tried to make some other plans for the evening, which of course failed because all the bars are closed

Then i came up with this idea ;)