Progression in Runes of Magic

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Grumpdaddy's just being an idiot lmao, there are so many things GF and RW could've done if they actually cared about keeping the game alive, but they clearly don't.

It's delusional to think that at this point, RoM is anything but an attempt to soak up as much money as they can before the game shuts down.

Just because you can't handle the truth for some reason doesn't make other people negative, it's just realistic. 1000 years of optimism yielding no results doesn't warrant more optimism.

Yungyeezus/Roxzincrazy/Princewarden

PPK/VVV/Easycompany

How do i control to hide jears?

• Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not say GF has been doing stuff to get new players. I have on the old forum been an advocate for GF spending money to advertise like most of the large MMOs. We have TV commercials in the US for World of Tanks and several others. Every time WoW launches an expansion, they put advertising on TV and the web.

GF is not promoting this game. I didn't say they are attracting new players. I said the secret [to game longevity] is to do so. They are letting us down. I get it. I do.

RoM had hundreds of thousands of new accounts in the first week. It happened not just because the game media were talking about it. Frogster, and probably whoever was running it in Europe and other places spent the bucks that GF isn't.

• Threads like this one are valuable though because progression in Runes of Magic caters to existing consumers, and it's significantly cheaper to cater and market to existing consumers than to acquire new ones.

Most businesses prioritize acquisition over retention, but acquisition is at least 5x more expensive than retention (some estimates will say as much as 7x more expensive). If GF is pressed for resources or finances in any way, a focus on retention makes more sense.

Beyond that, if they wanted to expand their marketing, in no way are they obligated to put their marketing budget towards traditional marketing. They have social media channels for Runes of Magic and they could be utilizing social media marketing strategies to reach a larger audience within a specific target network for much cheaper. Gamers are in front of computers and communicating in digital social spaces, so the marketing needs to be where the audience is. However, the existing community would also have to be onboard with this approach to some extent because social media marketing is all about co-creation. If the existing community doesn't have anything good to say about Runes of Magic on social media, then that will negatively impact ROI. (That could be a big reason why they didn't go that route even though it'd be an excellent route for them to take in other respects.)

Circling back to this thread's topic, there's a lot of excellent suggestions here, but a lot of what this game needs in terms of improvements relies on RW, not GF. The biggest thing GF can control in the game that impacts player experience and progression is the item shop. They need to re-evaluate those RNG/gambling items, their pricing, and their sales. Nothing else to say about it; the community has given thousands of item shop concepts for free for the past almost 10 years and probably less than 1% were explored in earnest (and many were lost with every forum revamp). I've never seen any other community for any other game put this much thought and time and effort into communicating ways to save and improve it. I just wish it was less like shouting into the wind.

Checkmäte
    Warden / Warrior / Rogue / Scout / Mage / Druid

Server: Aeterna (PVE)
    RIP Indigo (PVP)