New server for the Steam release?

• The way I see it, the ones who will cross over won't rush to level cap and instead enjoy the older content.

There was once a new German Server "Dochas". After a few days there were players from the other servers trying to rush through the contant ASAP and get all the serverfirsts etc. I think they made a guild full of people who played in the big guilds on other servers, not allowing any newcomers.

Edit: The guild(s) (and the server) died pretty quickly.

But I don't think that harms the server much. It's not like they would destroy the game for the others, just basically the same as if they were not there.

A little detail with what I remember from history:

For this server there was a global prize event competition for the first Annelia kill (- I think it was Annelia ... it certainly wasnt Kulech Bones Nest, and Bedim wasnt live yet) on the new server.

Which was the primary motivation of that amalgamated guild.

Just:

It didnt work out in due time because nobody wanted to do it at level let alone build and plus level gear for it when much better gear was available for FREE , and progress through questing was blocked - you couldn't get past Tergothen Bay because there was a bug in the main quest line in Dalanis.

Which as you might guess, that made leveling itself quite tedious since past Thunderhoof Hills most of the quests are gated behind the then non-working main quest.

(No main quest past Dalanis essentially means 90% less quests in any zone past that, and without completing the main quest, no trip from Tergothen to Ancient KIngdom of Rorazan and further)

Surprise, without a working main quest past level55 and therefore no higher dailies available dog meat value was weighed in diamonds. Literally multiple diamonds per SINGLE dog meat, not per stack. Either through its gold value or direct trade (which was still possible) or trade-gfiting.

(Cap 75 at the time, so ... powerquest, get lvl72 Eternal Circle weapons/equipment from NPC in Chrysalia, go)

The server was basically borked the first half year, except for those who spent loads of money just to be 75/75 early with nothing to do at all.

From what I recall, the "people from all over the high end guilds from other servers"-guild was merely a fun project and lost traction pretty fast when it became clear that the original goal of winning ther event prize would be either impossible or ridiculously expensive before the main quest was fixed.

Playing HoS at level again was fun though, been there done that.

/history

Dochas brought out high end guilds over time but in terms of first clears it lagged behind for quite a while of its existence (as in, it took them significantly longer than the other german servers).

[This user speaks English on a near native level.]

[This user speaks German on a native level.]

[This user can curse in a variety of languages.]

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.....with epic skill and epic gear

• The way I see it, the ones who will cross over won't rush to level cap and instead enjoy the older content. This new release will hopefully appeal to new and returning players, so if someone experienced were to get to level 100 within the first few months there would be barely any end game players and there would be nothing for them to do except things like minigames and Mirrorworld.

You could say this is also hopeful thinking :p, i feel like with so much crafted/mem/shell whatever gear that would be easy to get at the higher levels, power-questing to cap with a combination of those types of gear will cause a lot of people to skip through the majority of the early game content. But who knows, only time will tell I guess, they haven't even really released any information at all about what's going on. Same ol' communication.

Yungyeezus/Roxzincrazy/Princewarden

PPK/VVV/Easycompany

How do i control to hide jears?

• ...But who knows, only time will tell I guess, they haven't even really released any information at all about what's going on. Same ol' communication.

Gods, I get so sick of this end-of-the-world, hand-wringing, rumor-mongering. They have said, clearly, that the new server or servers will be full servers with no progression limits. Full current content. End of story.

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

• Gods, I get so sick of this end-of-the-world, hand-wringing, rumor-mongering. They have said, clearly, that the new server or servers will be full servers with no progression limits. Full current content. End of story.

You realize it was initially gonna be no new server and simply on a new platform right? Then they decided a new server would be a good idea out of the blue! Who's to say a progression server isn't a possible decision. Don't act like you have information we do not lmao, we're all in the dark about this, so chill out

PPK/VVV/Easycompany

• Noone ever said that. The plan was to connect to steam and maybe opening a new server or a few more servers; We do not know that in greater detail though. None of that was made out of the blue, especially noone ever said it would be steam-only server(s).

• A progression/rookie/beginner/... server is not planned, as of now.

The servers that will be released with together with the steam release will have the exact same content as the rest of the servers.

//edit: also, a progression server is not easy to maintain.

First, you would have to decide, which exact patch you would want to start out with. Especially with old patches, it is hard to see, which of those brought major fixes with them. Which would mean, that GF would have to revert the game to a status that is more (or differently) broken.

Applying new fixes to content on the progression server would mean that we would have different servers with different version numbers. Which is really hard to manage.

• I mean if the choice is between being hard to manage, or the game continuing on it's current pace with it's current problems...

GG RoM, new server gonna be dead in 2 months. Great job guys, you've continuously proved that you can always make the wrong decision!

Literally players could manage this game better than u xXx

::Post edited ~ Diogenes::

PPK/VVV/Easycompany

• ...But who knows, only time will tell I guess, they haven't even really released any information at all about what's going on. Same ol' communication.

Gods, I get so sick of this end-of-the-world, hand-wringing, rumor-mongering. They have said, clearly, that the new server or servers will be full servers with no progression limits. Full current content. End of story.

I guess what Yeezy meant ,its not all about the new Server(s) , its about the Steam Release.

Scenario 1 :

RoM released on Steam with 2 New Servers ( 1 US , 1 EU ).

No Change whatsoever. ( Maybe a 14,99 $ DLC or Free DLC )

Scenario 2:

RoM released on Steam with 2 New Servers ( 1 US , 1 EU ) , New Content , Bugfixes, x64 Client, etc etc.

A Change , simply as that ^^

• I mean if the choice is between being hard to manage, or the game continuing on it's current pace with it's current problems...

GG RoM, new server gonna be dead in 2 months. Great job guys, you've continuously proved that you can always make the wrong decision!

Literally players could manage this game better than u [...]

I do think the management made (some) decisions which are bad for RoM in the long term (and some, I agree, were plain stupid). But the managers Gameforge AG (AG stands for stock company) are paid to generate the maximum amount of money - and I think most stock holders would prefer the current strategy over what you are suggesting.

1. I don't think there will be any kind of paid DLC (since RoM is F2P since years) and "Free DLC" are basically the updates we get (more or less) regularly.
    2. "Bugfixes, x64 Client" ... I think a only can quote Ramsay Bolton here: "If you think this [...], you haven’t been paying attention"
      Of course Bugfixes and a better game would be great. But you can easily see that RW is spending as few resources as possible on RoM, they are only fixing the most gamebreaking bugs etc.

That's also why we would not get a progression server. There were tons of bugs that would reappear (including some exploits players would abuse) that you would have to fix --> Far too much work/money.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• It is quite easy to have different software versions running and apply future Patches to both, when the Software Project was planned that way from the beginning. We all know that this is not the case for RoM. From a Players PoV a simple approach to the progression server might seem rather easy: Just block the content you do not want to allow access to without actually removing it and set a reduced Levelcap. Take care of further details (e.g. items from Phirius-Shells). This might cause issues, but can possibly be managed. The problem is, that the sourcecode for RoM was most likely never supposed to support different versions, so we do not know what code spaghetti the Devs would have to riddle for this.

The biggest problem is something different: This can definitely not be done by GF, but only by RW. Change Requests of this size code money, and most likely more than we expect it to cost. Thus, we would only see a progression server when it generates more money than the change costs. While it would be profitably on its own without much doubt, from a management PoV this money would only come from players that would else have spent it on the other servers. This means, a progression server would never be worth its money.

The best chances I would see when we start a crowdfunding - but I guess this would fail for legel reasons (big company and crowdfunding).

• DLC as in DLC for content? Don't think so.

Some kind of "starter" package directly on the steam page instead of in the itemshop ingame? Possible. See TERA/EU Aion/EU Nostale/EU on Steam for examples.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• The "Starter server" would require that GF separate out the integrated software in ways you and I don't understand.

Remember- We could go the route of WoW and other mmo's- Go to the store, buy a disk. Ready for the next zone? Great- go back to the store and buy the next update. Ready... rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

Oh- and when your credit card hits expiration date, don't forget to update the expiration and cvv on the account they bill every month.

Okay- can we agree we all like FREE-to-PLAY, even if things like refining gems are crazy expensive?

Good, now. Let's enjoy this. But remember, the Diamonds are what supports payroll, servers, and internet access. Gameforge has to balance income and expenses. When income doesn't pay the bills- THAT is when the game shuts down.

• Good, now. Let's enjoy this. But remember, the Diamonds are what supports payroll, servers, and internet access. Gameforge has to balance income and expenses. When income doesn't pay the bills- THAT is when the game shuts down.

Very well said, Grumpdaddy. Please, everyone out there, remember his words the next time you feel like screaming "But... iT'S ALL P2W!!!@!1"

This game, since the very beginning, has held to the premise that you can go faster with money, but there is nothing in the game that you cannot also do if you work long and hard at it.

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

• Good, now. Let's enjoy this. But remember, the Diamonds are what supports payroll, servers, and internet access. Gameforge has to balance income and expenses. When income doesn't pay the bills- THAT is when the game shuts down.

Very well said, Grumpdaddy. Please, everyone out there, remember his words the next time you feel like screaming "But... iT'S ALL P2W!!!@!1"

This game, since the very beginning, has held to the premise that you can go faster with money, but there is nothing in the game that you cannot also do if you work long and hard at it.

Except getting a Permanent Mount and / or using a Advanced Aggregator unless you trade with Real Players.

• He didnt say anything about "without ever interacting with anyone else" :P

And the notion that not 100% of a game population can play the game while spending zero money or there wouldn't be a game in the first place should come to no one's real surprise after almost 10 years of RoM ...

• Okay- can we agree we all like FREE-to-PLAY, even if things like refining gems are crazy expensive?

Yeah we all like F2P - but this game has lost it´s F2P-character long long time ago.

Good, now. Let's enjoy this. But remember, the Diamonds are what supports payroll, servers, and internet access. Gameforge has to balance income and expenses. When income doesn't pay the bills- THAT is when the game shuts down.

First @ Bludwyng - of course there is - else please show me the group with max +12 (maybe 13 or 14 since there are NPC-stones) gear which can clear every dungeon in every mode.

You´ll definitely need diamonds - and right now you won´t find enough from sellers....

@ Grumpy

Yeah the game itself should pay the bills - problem is, that GF doesn´t do anything to accomplish this. They could make so much more money if they sometimes would hear at the community regarding this shitty shop - but they just refuse to do so...

• Gameforge would sooner 5 people spend 500 euros then 25 ppl spending 100, idk why. Busisness model seems rather flawed. This game is still highly profitable, but they seem intent to run it to the ground.