New server for the Steam release?

• I have a question about the Steam servers... Will players using the old non-Steam client be able to use the new servers? Or will we be required to use the Steam RoM Client to use the new servers?

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

• I have a question about the Steam servers... Will players using the old non-Steam client be able to use the new servers? Or will we be required to use the Steam RoM Client to use the new servers?

Looking at the (low) efforts they made when integrating it into the Gameforge Live launcher (it just starts the normal launcher), I guess the steam launcher will work similarly (i.e. just launch normal launcher).

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• here is a quote from the steam thread regarding servers

Hello guys,

We are currently thinking about new servers for new and returning players, but please note that these servers won't be marked as "only for Steam users" and everyone will be able to join them, same as you will be able to freely join current game servers.

this to me says new servers will be accessible from stand alone client or the steam client. from what i have read if you want to play through steam and purchase diamonds through steam you will need to download the steam client. i do not know if there will be any achievements with steam.

we will inform you of any new news as soon as we can.

• So, US and EUropean accounts cannot play on Chinese or Korean servers, but I would think that All Gameforge accounts should be playable on all Gamforge servers. Databases, I get. That seems to be the big hindrance. If we can merge servers, which involves database info transfering, then with a little effort, all GF accounts could be stored on the same (really big) database. Ya- I know, I am probably over-simplifying it, but Still, it should be do-able.

Over-simplified, yes. On a technical side, probably possible. See Thalia for example. It was moved to US before eventually merged into the last existing US server. However, US alone has got a higher variety of time zones than most peoples on EU while the closest has got a time difference of 5 hours (That would be UK and a smaller part of canada). That being said merge of those wouldn't really bring you together, as one side is asleep while the other one is playing, and the other way around.

Not to mention that one side would have more difficulties due to a higher delay. On a personal note: I wouldn't play with an unstable ping of over 500+

• steam achievements would be great.

i do not know if there will be any achievements with steam.

we will inform you of any new news as soon as we can.

go for steam cards, profile backgrounds, steam badges, steam achievements.:thumbup:

think about doing this for rom on steam.

millions of steam gamers love hunting cards and achievements.

• I could be wrong, but it definitely sounds like you'll be able to play on the new servers via the standalone client.

Yea, I'm curious if they'll do Steam achievements and/or cards - a lot people really do enjoy that stuff.

• And here is the festival. Walpurgisnacht

lol a festival from 8 years ago...

the broom is available in halloween event - i suppose this one is also available in us XD

Since I'm RoM CoMa (and it's been a while XD), I never heard of this Festival and for the last few years we haven't got it imo.

The other Festivals / content are rolled out in both regions at the same time and for now I don't see the point that we should complicated our lives with patching different content on x servers and then having problems to keep regions with proper client versions ect. ;)

I have a question about the Steam servers... Will players using the old non-Steam client be able to use the new servers? Or will we be required to use the Steam RoM Client to use the new servers?

For now I can tell:

• servers (old and new) won't be restricted and all users (Steam, no-Steam) will be able to join them as they please.
    • Calling them "Steam servers" is little misleading, it doesn't mean they will be exclusive servers, it means they will be starting with Steam, but they will be accessible for everyone.

tumblr_p2yqqdl1UT1r6d0kro2_r1_500.jpg

• So, US and EUropean accounts cannot play on Chinese or Korean servers, but I would think that All Gameforge accounts should be playable on all Gamforge servers. Databases, I get. That seems to be the big hindrance. If we can merge servers, which involves database info transfering, then with a little effort, all GF accounts could be stored on the same (really big) database. Ya- I know, I am probably over-simplifying it, but Still, it should be do-able.

Over-simplified, yes. On a technical side, probably possible. See Thalia for example. It was moved to US before eventually merged into the last existing US server. However, US alone has got a higher variety of time zones than most peoples on EU while the closest has got a time difference of 5 hours (That would be UK and a smaller part of canada). That being said merge of those wouldn't really bring you together, as one side is asleep while the other one is playing, and the other way around.

Not to mention that one side would have more difficulties due to a higher delay. On a personal note: I wouldn't play with an unstable ping of over 500+

Or you can have the players that are on US servers and all other servers make that decision themself with character transfer option to move the char/chars to what ever server they want?

Is not really that bad. I play in EU servers from Argentina since 2009, same as many players from Latin America. With 14,000 km of distance to server my normal ping has been always 280 ms, and is stable unless something weird happens. Ofc always is better play with 30 ms, but 280 ms is still easy to play. About time zones, i used to play with an australian guild, with 13 hs difference, so is not that bad either haha. At least is better than play in a dead server.

Crycry R/M/Wd/W/S/D

Grümpy Wl/Ch/M/P/R/W

Just an old and humble legend :)

Is not really that bad. I play in EU servers from Argentina since 2009, same as many players from Latin America. With 14,000 km of distance to server my normal ping has been always 280 ms, and is stable unless something weird happens. Ofc always is better play with 30 ms, but 280 ms is still easy to play. About time zones, i used to play with an australian guild, with 13 hs difference, so is not that bad either haha. At least is better than play in a dead server.

I gave the game a go via the standalone, specifically to check my ping to the US server - because I'm from NZ - and despite having 250ms ping, the game is very playable and responsive.

It's part of the reason I enjoy tab-target combat MMOs over action combat, because very rarely do MMOs have Oceanic servers and the ping always makes action MMO combat unenjoyable for me.

• ping has been always 280 ms

despite having 250ms ping

It just depends on what you want to do, if you are playing a DD in a dungeon and want to time your burst correctly, you might have to do some calculations ;)

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• ping has been always 280 ms

despite having 250ms ping

It just depends on what you want to do, if you are playing a DD in a dungeon and want to time your burst correctly, you might have to do some calculations ;)

Yes, you have to do some calculations thats true, but you get used to it. The only class hard to use with that ping is warden dps, cause you can't put CC between skills so easy, but rogues, scouts (this one need to know when the K/W will use the dmg skill ofc), mages, warriors, warmage, tanks in general, champs don't have problems to keep the level of the game. Healers may have some problems, but usually is ok. Another problem is the push back when you get stun in SW, speacially if you play warlock at max speed XD

But going back to the topic, you really expect so much success with steam to open new servers? I hope you are right, for future merges, but In the other servers I see less and less players every day.

Crycry R/M/Wd/W/S/D

Grümpy Wl/Ch/M/P/R/W

Just an old and humble legend :)

• So question.When the Steam servers are live can we do a char transfer from a normal server to teh steam one without downloading the game on steam etc?

• So question.When the Steam servers are live can we do a char transfer from a normal server to teh steam one without downloading the game on steam etc?

Right now, there are no character transfers planned.

You can create a new character on the new servers through the normal GF Client - redownloading it through steam is not necessary.

Right now, there are no character transfers planned.

You can create a new character on the new servers through the normal GF Client - redownloading it through steam is not necessary.

But the new servers arent live yet :( and they keep saying july but still nothing and i realy want to play now thats why :P