Best class combination for tanking

• I would prefer to play K/P and some posts from folks here are saying that all the tanking combinations are viable - so maybe I should just do that.

There are some questions which you should have in mind:

1. Will it be less fun to play K/W instead of K/P and will this lead to "i don´t want o play anymore" ?

--> play K/P

2. Do you have a high-end-guild which burns every boss down due to good DDs and supporters?

--> play K/P (or any other tank which can deal with their aggro)

3. Is your guild not that strong and you need everything to master a dungeon?

--> you need K/W ("Authoritative Deterrence")

• Absolutely true. K/P really interesting and good class. About my post i forget K/P discussion.

• To be honest, thematically I enjoy the idea of K/P more - because I'm big fan of Paladins

Just go got sta/attack, otherwisde you won't get your mirror world stuff at first. xD

So Stamina and Physical Attack would be priority for stats on gear?

I think your first point is probably most important to me, so I think I will go with K/P.

• So Stamina and Physical Attack would be priority for stats on gear?

I can't tell about inis and if your def and hp would be enough then, but to avoid frustration while questing and in mirror worlds I would go for that, yes. As k/p you don't make much damage and after a while every "kill 10" quest will be a pain, when you don't have enough attack.

You could switch some plate euip parts with sta/def and sta/hp for chain with sta/attack (or even str/attack) stats and attack & crit non-stats for single questing, it would be the savest but more expensive option.

When I used mainly sta/def as k/p, very little attack, the following happened:

- I began to use the /kick emote on NPCs giving me killing quests

- while doing them, I began to sort my backpack while hitting the skill buttons

- I found shortcuts and sneaky ways all over the zones just to avoid entering combats

- my hand began to hurt after a while questing

- I skipped on gathering in the upper half of Chrysalia, because when I have had killed one ant there were two or three others already attacking me

- I skipped on mirror worlds completely, since it was impossible anyway to kill the 50 mobs in 15 minutes of rapid button mashing (especially after they raised the mob def in there)

So do your physical and mental health a favor and use attack stats. xD

• For a practical comparison, you have to see how much damage your party inflicts with K/W debuff (3 second window). Let as assume it is ~ 450kk damage. Now if you did not have this debuff, it would be 300kk. Simple math, right? Now if you tank as Wd/W or Ch/R all you have to do is inflict 150kk damage to compensate for the lack of debuff and voila, K/W is not necesarry and is objectivly worse.

Me as Wd/W can consistently do 150 to 200kk damage without K/W supporter.

=> Damage done during 3 sec burstphase: 1.5 x. Without debuff it is simply x. The Ch/R or Wd/W tank now has to do 0.5x damage to compensate for the lack of K/W debuff. Assuming the Ch/R or Wd/W inflicts 150kk dmg that means 0.5x= 150kk => x=300kk.

If your party does less than 1.5 x= 450kk damage during those 3 seconds with a potential K/W, a Ch/R or Wd/W doing 150kk is actually better than K/W.

Wd/W can easily do 200kk damage and considering 6% more physical damage debuff for 30 seconds on boss I can safely say, that unless you need to burst the boss down very very quickly, a Wd/W is 100% better than a K/W in a ~30 seconds fight.

I am also sure that a Ch/R with dpsgear and enough physical defense and LP is not that much weaker considering you can spam Runeimpulse.

Other advantages:

1) High damage in trash

2) Superior overall damage especially offburst

Disadvantages:

1) Potentially less damage for Scoutheavy groups.

• lol :)

Does K/W have a better time in terms of damage when questing, without the need to different specced gear?

Because, I can sympathise well with your list - I always play tank characters in MMOs and questing is always quite a slow affair, but I've become used to it over the years.

I appreciate the input, it gives me something to think about - but this is all a bit high-key for me, it's been so long since I played the game I'm essentially a fresh player :P

• I dont like play tank. The warden is not tank generally. Soul of the Oak do everything for you. This is boring.

The bruiser classes i think better. For example Champion/Mage

Strongly absorb 15 sec (yourself or any party member) + DMG increase. You need play always Shield form state. This class absolutely PvP

war machine. Rampage elite grand damage 200 range all enemies. With endgame build in siege run on hidden and one shot enemy carry squishy players. This is exciting.

• Does K/W have a better time in terms of damage when questing, without the need to different specced gear?

I heard K/W hast better damage that K/P (actually one of the more damage dealing knights) but you still need different equipment for questing if you want to level at a reasonable speed.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• Does K/W have a better time in terms of damage when questing, without the need to different specced gear?

I heard K/W hast better damage that K/P (actually one of the more damage dealing knights) but you still need different equipment for questing if you want to level at a reasonable speed.

It's been a (long) while since I've played and I can't remember how it all works.

You have the 2 classes and they'll each have their own set of gear - correct?

and in terms of leveling them up, you'll want to have decent gear on the secondary class because you have to quest and level them up the same way you would the primary right?

• So, you have few classes (3 after you reach Lv20/20, but to 6 max.). You always have 2 of them active, the 2nd one giving you its secondary skills and determining elite skills (I think you know that already).

Independently from that, you have a few equipment slots (3 after you get your 3rd class via the quest, up to 6 max.) between which you can choose any time. Since different classes require different kind of armor (plate, chain, ...) this is quite useful.

For dealing damage, both Knight and Warrior need Chain-Gear and focus on Strength and Phys. Attack. For tanking, most peolple use Plate-Gear and focus on Stamina / phys. defense (actually there are some tanks that use some warrior items and focus on Stamina / phys. attack to get more aggro, consult a tank before building serious tank equipment^^).

For questing, you should focus on dealing damage, you will become tanky enough anyways. For dungeons you probably are going to get a separate equipment later. So I would recommend go for Chain-Gear and some cheap phys. Attack / Strength stats (like Stamina/Patt, Stength/HP, etc). You can use this for questing then, on the Knight and Warrior. (If you level your Warrior later, you might keep the gear and not sell you old one so you can use if for the Warrior if its level is low.)

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• K/W has advantages in questing, you will get an elite skill that increases your weapon damage and one as W/K that makes you able to wear plate as well, so you don't have to switch equip and you can use your weapon (with even more damage as W), your shield, all your plate- or chain-equip and quest as W/K much faster, if you want. The disadvantage is, that you are more vulnerable and need HP pots. And you'll hate DoTting mobs a lot more than with K/P. xD

What stays though is, that you still need to reach the attack so you can overcome mob def, otherwise you'll still need your time spamming.

but you still need different equipment for questing if you want to level at a reasonable speed

I would agree with this one, generally, but this here made me think:

Me as Wd/W can consistently do 150 to 200kk damage without K/W supporter.

So what is the minumum def you should have as tank in the latest inis? It shouldn't be SO high, then, right?

Soo maybe for a K/P and its elite skill to give +25% def a pure chain equip with 6x STA/Attack, regarding that Knights take the most def out of sta points) could be enough to tank? If so I'd do this and walk as K/P one man army through Taborea. xD

No matter what, being able to stand every elite is still great as quester. You'll just need to handle in your fulfilled quests as priest to level it, but then you don't have to skill the priest, when you don't play it. ^^

• Actually, chain eq with 6x sta/attack is enough for Knights ;p. In these days, high def and hp isn't really needed . 500k def and 400k hp is enough for tanking everything in Runes with ease. And, we have +20% stam potion in IS, just in case.

• Actually, chain eq with 6x sta/attack is enough for Knights ;p.

Hah, thank you! If it's enough for knights, it will be...

And, we have +20% stam potion in IS, just in case.

...125% enough for knight/priests, having 25% more def not only from Sta but from all the chain equip and the shield as well. ;-)

So since you said

I would say go with K/P in full chain with Sta/Attack stats and attack and crit on the equip and kill away as a sturdy self-healing rock. ^^

• Alright, thanks again for all the input - I really appreciate it.

It sounds like K/P in chain with Stam/Attack would be good, but why chain over plate? Is it because different Stats roll on chain items?

It sounds like K/P in chain with Stam/Attack would be good, but why chain over plate? Is it because different Stats roll on chain items?

It's because of the non-stats/ghost stats on them. Mainly you'll get sta, dodge, parry on plate equip, there's a lot of +phys. att. and +phys. crit. chain equip, though and the set bonus has attack stuff instead of defensives too in general.

It's because of the non-stats/ghost stats on them. Mainly you'll get sta, dodge, parry on plate equip, there's a lot of +phys. att. and +phys. crit. chain equip, though and the set bonus has attack stuff instead of defensives too in general.

Right cool, well - I have a fair bit to think about in regards to class combo and gear choice, so again - thanks for the info :)

Right cool, well - I have a fair bit to think about in regards to class combo and gear choice, so again - thanks for the info :)

Fair enough. :-) Please keep us updated about your thoughts and choice, will you? That topic is of high interest from my side still. ^^

Talking about it, dear

Actually, chain eq with 6x sta/attack is enough for Knights ;p. In these days, high def and hp isn't really needed . 500k def and 400k hp is enough for tanking everything in Runes with ease. And, we have +20% stam potion in IS, just in case.

what do you think of the k/m combo in full cloth (omg, yes! xD) combo for actual tanking full of STA/mag.att. and STA/INT stats? Could that be enough? If no, how many stats would one need to sacrifice for STA/def? Are the actual white-hits go through when one spams all those aggro-multiply and def skills? Would those - the whiies for the damage - even be needed? How do aggro-multipliers work once there's barely ANY physical attack?

In questing at least this combo seems hella fun and you can rest your hands a lot. :-)

• Well, we have one k/m in guild (cheers, Korim! ;p), full cloth, 6x int/stam and even few int/matt. Sword + shield on trash, 2h hammer for bosses. He can tank every instance, and do about 150-200kk dmg on boss fight (when he is with dps party). Holy Power Explosion + Threaten + Light Energy Weapon = tons of aggro. Its very interesting combo.

• Well, we have one k/m in guild (cheers, Korim! ;p), full cloth, 6x int/stam and even few int/matt. Sword + shield on trash, 2h hammer for bosses. He can tank every instance, and do about 150-200kk dmg on boss fight (when he is with dps party). Holy Power Explosion + Threaten + Light Energy Weapon = tons of aggro. Its very interesting combo.

HOLY COW!

NO PLATE STUFF?!

Thank you very much, do you have any idea if red stats and world boss/equp is a real MUST or yellow shell and lvl 100 accessory stuff is fine? I GUESS "even a few int/mag.att." gives it away, just to get sure. Thanks. :-)

Aw man, tanks can be great, if I'd just knew before. ^^

Consider that nonmentioned as well, then! Mine - running around kinda unstatted whatsoever - does better than a k/p in mirrors. (Button mashing /p to /m around 100/1 btw) ^^

• Can give a little bit advice about K/M as well.

I have full int/matt mage gear (instance sets + HoE set and 2h hammer from dreamland, 1h sword + shield for SOD and trash tanking), and also a "tanking set" (which i very rarely use, will explain later) made from magical chain gear from memento vendors - statted like 2x sta/hp, 2x sta/def, 2x sta/int. Most of the time I am tanking in full mage gear + sta/hp/def wings and 1 earring. This usually gives me enough hp/def to survive everything while also having very high amounts of matt. K/M aggro on trash mobs is pretty insane if you have buffs going - can easily hold all dps (including ch/r) on trash mobs, but suffers a lot when you swap out matt pieces for more survivability - mainly because k/m has naturally pretty low magical attack and no matt buffs.

You can also build the gear like Korim does, means no swapping gear and you are ultra tanky and pretty good dps/aggro for all situations. I prefer my current setup because it allows me to play w/m and m/w as well, but I was toying with the idea of converting my marissha set (currently 6x int/matt) into some int/stam statted gear. Your dps will obviously be a lot higher with 6x int/matt as opposed to int/sta gear, but there are a looooot of buffs that k/m can use to do more damage - m/p, p/s both increase your magical attack, but also any light damage debuffers : 1. K/W - Divine punishment increases all light damage on boss by 26%

2. M/K - stars of light (with the later elite) increases all light damage on boss by 15%

3. K/R - Shadowstep (with the elite) increases all light damage on boss by 20%

Not to mention combos like M/D which reduce the magical defence of the boss (Stacks with everything).

Red stats not needed, you will notice difference with them of course, since K/M is a damage tank - no aggro multipliers on its main skills (Full Attack, Holy Light Domain).

One of my favourite things about tanking with K/M is probably the bonuses you get from the mage side. Lightning is useful if you are rooted and a mob is running towards your healers/dps, also works as an interrupt. Silence is extremely useful as well. Holy Light Domain is also extremely useful, as you will notice if you tank in any of the last 3 inis - most trash mobs have stuns. If you are stunned before you can get any aggro on the mob, HLD will at least stop the mobs from aggroing healers. Extremely useful.

It is also an extremely tough tank to kill, this is why most people play it in SW. But even in PvE too,you can survive for an extremely long time without a healer. With my current setup I can tank most endgame bosses in full mage gear + 2h hammer for about 50 seconds out of a 60 second timeframe (so many absorb and dmg reduction skills).

The other side of K/M is ofc as a dps. Tanks won't like you, since you do big hits and only have room for 1 recon. But it isn't too big an issue if you have half-decent tanks. The problem that I mentioned earlier is why you do not see many k/m dpsers - low magical attack. In almost every instance released in the last 2-3 years (sun temple being the exception), bosses have >1kk mdef. Even with "normal" def reductions the boss def will still be too high for you to use Magical Damage food (you have to use magical attack food instead, and the dmg loss is really noticeable). Hence, k/m kind of needs m/d in the party (36,5% mdef reduction at 100/100) or needs a S/R to use sapping arrow (sapping arrow + magical seeds stack). Can be extremely good dps with low def instances.

Tomorrow I can post some screenshots of K/M in action as tank if you are interested.

Edited once, last by aktl ().