Best class combination for tanking

• Hi, I'm waiting for the Steam release (and hoping for a new server) so in the meantime I was thinking about what class combo I would like to play.

When I played RoM in the past, I was a Knight/Priest - and I had a good time tanking dungeons with that character.

Now that there a more classes, new content etc. Which would be the best class combination for a good tank character?

Thanks.

(Also, which wiki is best for current information? I've been looking at this one: https://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Runes_of_Magic_Wiki)

• Sarkas

Approved the thread.
  • (Also, which wiki is best for current information? I've been looking at this one: https://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Runes_of_Magic_Wiki)

For the sake of transparency, I should point out that I am the admin of The RoM Wiki at gamepedia, so I may be a little biased. ymmv.

A lot of the info we have is from the vanilla game, or Chapter I, but it has changed very little. I have done a lot to retrofit the pages that still use the older templates into the new formats, and expanded many reference pages for returning old-timers who just need a place to look-up all the resource nodes, for instance.

And of course, the power and joy of wiki is, if you see something that is not quite right, you can fix it.

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

• I really like Warden/Warrior, but the truth is that ppl want Knight/Warrior tanking because of his Authoritative Deterrence (level 50 elite skill).

Crycry R/M/Wd/W/S/D

Grümpy Wl/Ch/M/P/R/W

Just an old and humble legend :)

• It's definitely not "the best", but I've always had fun tanking with a w/k. But if you want to be in high demand, definitely go k/w for the 3 seconds of glory.

• instances are %100 depends on dps, healers are chosen for dps too so you cant see priests in instances, and only d/w (physical attack buff), d/wd (magical dmg buff) and d/r (critic resist debuff) are good, as for the tank k/w is one and only good tank only cause 50 elit as mentioned above

Oldass, Challenger

Vidar (ew)

Quit in december 2018, best decision of my life, now mostly played by friends.

RIP Isiltir and Agenor. Never forget.

• Most class combos in the game can tank endgame content with good gear. K/W is not "needed" in any instance in the game, since most endgame content is cleared with ease at the moment (additionally k/w is pretty easy to alt, you lose 1 space for a buffer in this case but again, not needed with the current difficulty of endgame).

Since you mentioned that you played K/P before, I would recommend K/W/P. You can get into runs fairly easily as a K/P because of the Holy Illumination buff (10% pdmg/mdmg for 30 sec), and the ability to resurrect players in combat with the lvl 70 elite (very useful for long fights or saving a healer from running back after wipe).

Personally I tank on knight/mage in mage gear, and I like the versatility it offers. You can swap from being dps to tank in 1 click. Ch/R is even better for this purpose, and there are many different ways to play it (how high you level shield form). If you wanted to try champion (you can play ch/r as tank or dps in the same gear) then I would recommend ch/r/p. Ch/P has a damage buff similar to K/P, except it is 20% instead of 10%, so it is more in demand. Ch/P is a really good tank too.

TL:DR pick the class you want to play - tanking is more about the player than the class in my opinion.

• I would recommend you to at least keep the possibility to switch to Knight/Warrior because, if the damage is low, it might be needed to complete the dungeon.

If your group is strong enough, you can play any of the recommended combinations above.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.

Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• you can only use 2 classes asst a time, but you get a 3rd clad for free at 20/20. After that, you can buy class expansion tickets when they're on sale.

• But if you want to be in high demand, definitely go k/w for the 3 seconds of glory.

Sounds like my love life. :)

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

• Alright, thanks for the advice :)

aktl, you mention K/W/P - can you have more than 2 classes? (Is that new? Or can I just not remember lol)

Classes#Tertiary_Classes explains it somewhat.

• When I played RoM in the past, I was a Knight/Priest - and I had a good time tanking dungeons with that character.

Since you asked for the best class combo for tanking I would absulutely go for that one. There's no better "sturdy rock" than a k/p. You can regain 1/3 of your hp all 8 seconds (plus your nearest in party), you can give yourself and anyone in party +39% mag.def. (if no priest but druid in party) and you give yourself +25% aggro, anone else -25% aggro, yourself + anyone +25% mag. and phys. def!

For the Imba-rush parties to insta-kill yes, they want k/w. For anything else I'd go for k/p. But stat sta/attack, otherwise leveling and even mirror worlds are a pin in your rear end. I'm going now for full chain att/crit equip with att/crit nonstats with mine xD

• If you want ''real'' tank Knight/Warrior prefer. Hard to play and hard to learn tanking. Best Aggro class.

But for questing Champion/Rogue have strong melee skills and Shield Form strongly useful. This class damage pure high.

Warden/Warrior defence and resist the attacks. ''Charged Chop'' instantly strong skill.

My prefer Champion/Warrior absorb (%) damages.And 70 elite x2 defence increase.

• NO!

"Best Aggro class" - show me how it gets over the k/p tanl +25% aggro, anybody else -25% aggro.

For questing it's equip. /w for faster kills, /w for "quest for 6 players" 'lol'

a player with k/p knowing their stuff WILL NOT DIE, a k/w will get taken for ONE elite, that is it! Don't try to water it down.

• Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

To be honest, thematically I enjoy the idea of K/P more - because I'm big fan of Paladins, but many seem to be of the opinion that K/W is the best choice.

I would prefer to play K/P and some posts from folks here are saying that all the tanking combinations are viable - so maybe I should just do that.