Sneak Attack does not always work

• I have a Scout/Rogue/Priest. Twice now, while Rogue/Priest, the Sneak Attack skill has been disabled as If Rogue does not have it. When I try to use it , I get a msg that says "This skill cannot be used by your class". If I check again leter (not sure what I did) it worked again. S(K)ills shows it under my Rogue-primary skills.

Exact same issue with Wound Attack. It says I cannot use that as my current class.

Anyone else get this? Is there a fix or a work-around?

Nevermind. Apparently, something aggro'd on me and, even though I did not stick around, it never broke. Apparently I finally killed it and now my skills work again.

I also just realized I could have fixed it, myself, with the new skill I just got... Vanish.

Ya know, this could have been avoided IF the UI had a little icon that meant "YOU are in-combat!". EQ2 had a little sword icon by the portrait as a visual clue.

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

Edited 3 times, last by Bludwyng ().

• This has to do with modifications to a skill by elites. The one example that comes to mind is my r/w/s- Shadowstab is modified by the R/W elites, actually maybe the W/R elites- anyway- it states at level 40 or 45 elite that a dagger is no longer needed to create bleed effect, which allows the use of axes on the Rogue. Then when you switch to r/s or s/r, that skill gives the "cannot be used by this class" message. You have to remove it from the action bar, then reinstall it in that slot while you are R/S. Lots of elites that modify a skill have that problem in the 3-class system. I have stated in the forum and in game on several occasions that the only way to make a 3-class system truly functional is to have a separate set of action bars for each CLASS COMBINATION, not just each class. This would require that your R/P/S have action bars for r/p, r/s. s/p, s/r, p/r, and p/s- 6 rather than three. Using expansion tickets makes it even more complex. With 4 functional classes you need 12 sets of action bars, with 5 classes I think it doubles again to 24, and with 6, probably 48. I haven't actually done the math beyond 4 classes. It boggles my mind.

Until GF and RW figure out a fix, a possible work around is to copy the game files into multiple subdirectories and remember which class combo you have set up on which copy. I have 3 copies because of certain add-ons I may or may not want active at a given time. I have set up icons labeled ROM-1, ROM-2, and ROM-3 on my desktop. You have to first separate that game subdirectory from the GF interface and get it working correctly as an independent entity, then copying it over is fairly straightforward.

Oh- SUBDIRECTORY- that's old fart speak for 'folder'.

• Like I said, it was not a skill-clas conflict or error. I was still in combat with a mob that broke but never forgot me. When I got a little farther away it finally left combat and I was back to normal. Next time it happens I will try Vanish to see if it lets me go.

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

• Let me ask, just so we are on the same page- There is a R/P elite skill called Shadow walker that modifies Sneak attack as follows :

You can use Sneak Attack during battle. The energy cost is reduced by 10, but the cooldown is increased by 10 seconds.

IF you switch from R/P to R/S it disables Sneak attack until you pull it from the action bar and reload it, because the modified skill remains on the action bar.

Also, if the mob or boss you are trying to use it on is facing anywhere even remotely in your direction, it doesn't work because you must attack from behind. If you and your target are already engaged, then you would have to shadow prison, then shadow step to get behind him, then refresh your rogue energy quickly enough to use the skill before he turns around.

I'm not guaranteeing that this is the reason, just trying to cover all the bases.

• I just took a minute to add up the amount of energy needed for those three skills in sequence. The shadow prison uses 50, shadow step uses 20, and sneak attack as modified, another 20. Tha'ts 90. You have to be at 100 just for this sequence. Doable, but you have to watch your rogue energy, or build a potion into the macro.

• Novar

Closed the thread.