Crafting useful at all?

• First, better start with asking yourself why exactly do you want to level professions. Making gold? Saving gold (= crafting only the items you need instead of buying them from the AH)? Making gear you or someone else would use? Or just passion to craft something?

Second, leveling a profession to level 100 will take time and resources. It's hardly doable for a beginner so there's no need to rush. Also best time to level is craft festival since you'll need only gold, not resources for all crafts except cooking.

With these considerations in mind let's have a look at the utility of each profession.

Alchemy. Level 60 is enough. Produces potions everyone needs.

Cooking. Potions at level 98 are required for endgame.

Most likely high competition among crafters for both.

Now about wearable item making. The gear ranking looks like this: hard mode instance > pom > crafted > shell > blue from quests. Except maybe scouts who can use a mix of ini and pom items.

So crafted items are good for midgamers and maybe alts which don't require top gear.

Naughtyboy mentioned one exception that making items is an alternative to farming certain stats.

One more thing. There are shortcuts which can dramatically reduce time and resources for profession leveling. Be sure to learn them before starting your crafting career.

• Basically I like to be self suffecient in terms of what I need to play a MMO. I like being able to craft items I would use at endgame instead of relying on others in my guild or paying auction house prices (supply & demand rules and all). After learning how buying the OP statted items for an alt to use to level up only is good for armor but not weapons, I figured that making weapons would make sense for alts to have decent weapons that I don't have to, again, be at the mercy of not only if/when it is available on the auction house but the prices they are listed for. On the catch up server I've been focusing on leveling and stopped worrying about gathering all together when I found out that all progress made on characters is thrown out the door if you don't reach 85 by Jan 30th to be able to transfer off (still ticks me off knowing that).

Since I really haven't played anything at endgame, I only have heard the term pom before but don't know what it means. I know ini is instances so I'm good on that. Shell is the gear you get from running dungeons (not sure if it has to be hard mode or regular ones) if I'm thinking correctly. So the crafted gear that says requires level 100 to learn but only needs level 1 in the profession (if I'm understanding the recipes on the auction house properly) is better than the shell gear or is it the stuff anyone can learn from trainers is better than shell gear? I might consider the whole crafting gear for stats instead of farming because that sounds easier.

You mentioned shortcuts, you able to steer me in the direction of some of those tips? I know one of them is waiting until this late spring / early summer for the crafting festival but are there any others?

Another question, where on the ranking does non-hard mode ini gear fall or do non-hard mode inis not drop gear at all?

Thanks a ton for your help folks!

• So the crafted gear that says requires level 100 to learn but only needs level 1 in the profession (if I'm understanding the recipes on the auction house properly)

I'm guessing that the recipes in Auction House say that they are level 1? It has been a while since I've looked at that.

But no, a recipe for a lvl 100 item needs you also to be level 100 in that profession to be able to craft that item. If it says level 1, that refers to the recipe itself, not to the levels needed.

It also needs the highest level of gathering items. So either you have to buy loads from Auction House, or you need to level the necessary gathering skills to max. However, every char can only level one gathering skill to max, so another char would be needed to have both required gathering skills at max level.

• Since I really haven't played anything at endgame, I only have heard the term pom before but don't know what it means. I know ini is instances so I'm good on that. Shell is the gear you get from running dungeons (not sure if it has to be hard mode or regular ones) if I'm thinking correctly.

Shells is what you get from minigames. Like Malatina (Survival and Course of Terror) in Varanas, Goblin Mines in Silverfall. You can buy items from the Shell merchants in Varanas Central Plaza or Dalanis.*

Memento you get from running dungeons, the higher/harder the more you get. Merchants are in all zones, though the items that can be bought are not the best ones (I think). The drops in the dungeons are usually way better.

POMS, or proof of myth you get from killing hardmode world bosses. Like Wodjin. Only the drop is per party and has to be divided among party members. The POM merchant is at Varanas Central Plaza.

*the shell merchants on the catch-up server however, only requires gold and no shells.

Edited 2 times, last by Rayeinna ().

• So the crafted gear that says requires level 100 to learn but only needs level 1 in the profession (if I'm understanding the recipes on the auction house properly)

I'm guessing that the recipes in Auction House say that they are level 1? It has been a while since I've looked at that.

But no, a recipe for a lvl 100 item needs you also to be level 100 in that profession to be able to craft that item. If it says level 1, that refers to the recipe itself, not to the levels needed.

I was talking about when you look on the auction house under recipes there are recipes that say "level 1" under the level (assuming it means level needed to learn it) but when you hoover over the recipe it says requires level 100 to use. Normally on the auction house UI if you hit the order by level it puts the level needed to learn it from lowest to highest or vice versa (like how you can show gear listed from highest level need to lowest level). The purple recipes that require level 100 to equip the crafted item all says "level 1".

• So is the Memento gear you're talking about the same as the ini gear you mentioned as being the best gear or are the hard mode dungeon gear better than memento? I haven't a clue what mementos are or where those vendors are. But my question is the gear from regular non-hard mode dungeons, where does that fall in ranking for the hard mode instance > pom > crafted > shell > blue from quests stuff and where do the memento gear fall in there too?

• The level 1 required to learn recipe is referring to the level of your character. Level 1 character may learn that recipe, but craft it when the production level on that character will be 100;)

• From level 55 onwards, instances start dropping Ancient Mementos. The higher level instance (and difficulty), the more mementos it drops. These mementos can be used to buy potions, gear and weapons. Typically the weapon that you can buy is that of the previous zone's normal mode instance (which isn't very good). Another use for these mementos is that you can buy certain crafting materials with them, as well as those hammers that repair your gear. You can also buy the "black codex teleport" skill for 200 mementos, which will let you teleport to any instance that you are high enough level for. This will cost you a teleport rune per cast, but essentially saves you the marking ink. Alternative would be to travel by mount.

Be aware, in the later zones these merchants (black codex) are only available after completing the zone's main questline!

I don't remember how good memento gear is, but I think its a little bit worse than the crafted set.

Assuming you play a damage dealer char, the main stats you are looking for are: (physical?) damage > attack power > critical hit rate. The hardmode instance sets come with a damage bonus, as well as a set bonus. crafted gear only has a set bonus (certain parts of the crafted set are dropped in normal difficulty of the zone's instance however, so you might not get the entire set). Normal mode difficulty instances are almost never ran. Proof of Myth gear also comes with a set bonus, and generally has a little bit higher stats than memento and crafted gear. Memento and shell gear doesn't have a set bonus.

If I were you, I would get the "Charplan" addon. This addon gives you the ability to toy around with all sorts of equipment builds and shows you the stats this gear would give you. Same applies here: damage > attack power > crit. Look for parts only that give both attack power and crit hit rate (if not going instance set), unless going for a set where individual pieces+setbonus would result into higher overall stats (attack power and crit).

If you want to go for an endgame set, you want a "hall of earth" accessory set. their name is something with "ancient" in it. This set gives a damage boost, but is very difficult to get over 100 durability. If you don't plan on endgame soon, its better to go with the quest (blue) accessories. Even when using this "ancient" set, the 2 (ring and earring) slots you have left, you want to use quest accessories. Remember, if an item is purple it doesn't necessarily mean its better than a blue item!

Also keep in mind that some gear pieces are easier to get than others. Crafted and shell gears are rather easy to come by, but without being able to run an instance at normal mode difficulty, you will find it near to impossible to finish an entire crafted set. Always get your gear over 102 durability since it will amp up your stats by 20%.

PS. good to know, crafted gear is usually named "transformed".

• If you are interested in self-sufficiency then you should level cooking to the highest and alchemy to 60. Other crafts are better to be postponed till 100.

When you start leveling professions the most strategic choice to make is whether you want them all on one char or make several alts for that.

Same char. Pros: faster leveling since you need to learn setskills and badge titles only on one char. Cons: you may have to buy craft expansion tickets to bypass the limitations.

Different chars. Pros: This is cheaper (most likely). Cons: leveling will take more resources and time.

There is basically only one way to progress in any craft. Namely, making items. The trick is to get most exp of it. So make sure to get every possible buff for this. Badge titles, crafting exp potion (can be bought with phirius shells), using crafting stations placed in residence (buy it yourself or ask your guildies, someone may let you use his), learning item-set skills for production exp and speed. Using craft speed potion from daily gifts is a good idea for saving time.

Making items will require resources. You can buy them with mementos or wait till crafting festival and spend only gold till 90 or so.

After you thoroughly research and learn what it takes to level one profession to 100 you will decide that it's better to be postponed till reaching level cap, getting at least some gear and running instances. And this will be the right decision ))

The bottom line. Don't bother much with crafting at start. Use dirty statted gear when you are leveling. After 65 or so buy or lend weapons, rings, necklaces that were top grade at lower caps.

And when you are 100 don't go for gear lower than crafted rank. The reason is simple. The price of the item itself sometimes can be literally negligible compared to improvement costs. Making gear isn't free. Actually it's gameforge's most powerful vacuum cleaner to empty your pockets. Yes, this is a pay-to-win game in case you haven't noticed this yet.

PS. Normal mode gear is same rank as crafted, memento gear is between shell and crafted and you should not be spending your memento for it.

PPS. Make sure to read https://runesofmagic.gamepedia.com/Category:Crafting and other related articles on the wiki.

• old time memento have much more value than nowday .....like is have setbonus and you can use it good but HOE set replace it and setbonus removed from so very useless ...even old time memento item able to drop good stat like int/mat str/pat dex/pat this removed too you only can get useless stat from memento...basicly memento only worth for resurce uppgrade guild castle building...or lvl refine professional.. example...: in weeping coast map you buy from memento any type wood herb ore then refine to purple and click on purple for make it white bk ...after avilable special recipe for made direkt white to purple material whats give you good % on lvling instead of you go and gather mats in zone whats take ages ....then redo redo till you mats out or you already lvl 100 just not forget there some fix lvl need do Quest 20-40-60-80 orelse you cant get any % for lvling...refining mats fix% not need use better mats for do lvling so pick 1 type and do it to max

if you cant get memento use pet craft way longer but work fine too....or best way is planting whit more alts till higher craft you need special mats for craft anything and is random give you instead of wait some guild inv you for honor point/drill/sw

hope this info help you :)

• I'm the crafter for my guild. From experience you'll need multiple alts that have maxed Planting in order to get the basic materials you need to raise and use crafting. The special Crafting Festival weapon recipes (blacksmithing and carpentry) for levels 35 and 45 are in demand and are very useful. Except for Cooking and Alchemy, with very rare exception no one will want anything you can craft for levels 46 to 95 except for the occasional Root of Nightmares (staff). The reason is that while they are running the same level 55 and 65 instances 100+ times each to get their item set skills, they acquire better dropped gear than you can craft. The dropped armor, once stated, can do most folks for 20+ levels. Most people don't want to pay the price in time or diamonds to stat gear they are going to throw away if they can get by until they absolutely need to replace it. The OD blue quest gear serves most folks well "until I get the OD instance drop stuff" gear. The level 95+ gear is useful for people in guilds that don't run end-game instances (it may be valuable to people in end-game instance running guilds, but I wouldn't know as that's not us).

Recipes for armor with an extractable skill that increase the crafting XP you get from crafting items is available in Dalanis.

You need to get into a guild and run the Drill Ground daily so you can spend every Honor Point you earn on rare materials at the Honor Point merchant in Obsidian Stronghold (your guild mates will be spending their Honor Point on stat pulls). You need at least one alt that you level with strategic slowness. That alt has to run Goblin Games 100+ times before advancing more than 5 levels so that you get enough of the special materials you need for items at each level (Cooking and Alchemy do not require special materials). You can burn through 5+ special materials per item before getting an good OD item.

Looking back, I don't think I saved a single gold coin from crafting vs what I would have spent buy gear in the Auction House. Raising crafting in not cheap even with the Crafting Festival. Sure crafting gear will help your characters here and there, but only Cooking and Alchemy will help your characters consistently. The best Alchemy recipes are rather low level (Hero's Potion comes to mind). Food buffs get better and better all the time. Hence the reason people keep advising Cooking and Alchemy with Cooking being the one to max.

All crafts except Cooking and Planting can be raised (relatively) quickly at the Crafting Festival using the special recipes and materials available only during the festival. Cooking and Planting need to be raised the old-fashion way. Planting does not count as a crafting skill, so it does not prevent you from leveling another crafting skill to 100.

If you like helping guild mates out (I do) then it's worth it. Otherwise you need to understand that even with the Crafting Festival you are giving up at least 100 hours of time you could be playing the game to get all crafts to max level.

Hope this helps.

• well old time craft better some item able to give int/mat stat ...nowday only sta/def sta/mdef for sw..

even old time proof set whit mixed craft item better value than instance set...but is old time....^^

i never say craft item whit instance normal mod full set whit decent stated not good ...is can be viable if you ask me just most ppl not invest gold /dia play on second best gear or so on "and is crazy value whit failed plussingrate" when old instance owerfarmed and like "cheap" piece you can buy from AH..and farm continue till peak lvl undoable pluss there need farm Quest item too...