Healer & casters questions (<3 the tips/advice)

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • So I was looking at this class/combo ranking for the various roles and it got me thinking. Are casters not that good of dps in ROM? I notice that the Mage/Warrior combo is the "top" ranking for mage primary then it lists druid/knight/priest/rogue as "bottom" and Mage/Druid isn't even on the list. I understand that the author of the thread said he chose to list a class's primary role as their best listing so since druid is a healer it would make sense for Druid/Mage not to be listed as a dps and the next best combo for a mage is Mage/Scout which is 2 ranged classes with one being magical and the other being physical. Reason for the question is I like playing casters and figured that a mage would be the safe bet for a caster in ROM. Also could I get some feedback on healers. I remember that Druid/Warden used to be the meta for healers in ROM back when I first started playing and made a character. I see on this guy's list that warrior and scout are also listed as "god" tier which leads me to believe that they would be very good at being a healer too. Are they good healer combos or is Druid/Warden still the way to go? PvE Instance Class Tier List

• Well, your link is that guys opinion, could use as a guideline, but there are some obvious mistakes in it. In general, he gets it mostly correct. It also depends on how the party is set up, with buffs and debuffs moving classes around on that list.

Most raids are set up for Physical DPS, so Magical DPS generally suffers.

For straight out healing the Druid/Warden is still tops. Though Druid/Scout has some good stuff to offer.

You didn't say why you liked casters, but you might consider a Scout if it is because you like ranged attacks, or, and this is going to seem odd, a Champion, slower than your typical caster, but tougher, and it's skills are very similar to those you would expect from a "caster".

The actual subject is much more complex, I normally advise people to try various classes before spending any money on one.

• Mages are trash:(, m/w can be played at ini but need second gear with sta/str stated pieces for swap and elite use. Table that u linked pretty much shows real tiers with some little mistakes. D/wd still best healer in game cause of briar, if u will play druid u should make d/wd/w for both buffs depends from party, d/wd for magical and d/w for physical. If u want play range dps class scout is way better choise, s/wd, s/r, s/w and s/m 4 best combos atm

newbie w/m 8)

• You didn't say why you liked casters, but you might consider a Scout if it is because you like ranged attacks, or, and this is going to seem odd, a Champion, slower than your typical caster, but tougher, and it's skills are very similar to those you would expect from a "caster".

Its because I tend to like ranged/caster types of classes instead of melee types of classes. Don't get me wrong though, I do like playing tanks and some times enjoy melee dps but generally speaking if I want to do a dps role I prefer the ranged approach. As far as the champion goes, I'm not to fond of shorter races and the dwarves in ROM kinda look odd to me lol.

• Mages are trash:(, m/w can be played at ini but need second gear with sta/str stated pieces for swap and elite use. Table that u linked pretty much shows real tiers with some little mistakes. D/wd still best healer in game cause of briar, if u will play druid u should make d/wd/w for both buffs depends from party, d/wd for magical and d/w for physical. If u want play range dps class scout is way better choise, s/wd, s/r, s/w and s/m 4 best combos atm

So essentially what you're saying is that mage primary class is pretty bad and if I want to go with a ranged dps class to go with scout (possibly Scout/Mage for the double ranged choices)?

• Well, it depends on what you plan to do in the game, if you want to farm the last inis, then you are unlikely be able to afford two sets of equip and weapons at once, since high plusing and tiering are expensive + items themselves, it's not economically expedient to make two different types of classes, magic and physical. If ur goal is farming regular mobs and doing minigames then u can make pretty much any combo, it will depend only on equip that u can afford

newbie w/m 8)

• Hello :)

I'm a druid and I love farming top instances with my guild so I can say that the PvE Instances Class Tier List is a good summary in general. When you look at the raid you will mosty see classes listed as "god" or "top" there. These from lower ranks are sometimes present, too, however their performance isn't usually as good as the god/top ones. The main reason are elite skills for every class combination. Perhaps this isn't a very accurate explanation (there are many other factors like eq, stating etc) but it looks like this, more or less.

As for your question:

Are casters not that good of dps in ROM?

Well, they are not when we compare them to other classes. And again, this results from elite skills and skills. I remember when rouge/scouts ruled in game. Then some changes were added in skills and rouge/mages were top. Some time later wardens (don't remember the subclass), and lately scout/wardens. As you can see, they all are physical damage dealers. People say that RoM "discriminates" mdds and, well, it does a bit...

I don't want to offend any class combo. I'm aware that there are some mega powerfull mage/warriors or warrior/mages but they are individual cases. What I write here is a short and very generalized answer to the topic.

As for healers. Yep, druid/warden rules. Druid/warrior is loved and cherished by pdd for "Awakening of the Wild". Druid power! But on the other hand, druid/mage is a rare species, and again: because of its elite skills. It can heal of course but it is not as usefull for the party as d/wd or d/w.

Hope I made it a little bit clearer for you.

With kindly regards -

Vimma from Perun (yeah, it's Nawia now...)

• You didn't say why you liked casters, but you might consider a Scout if it is because you like ranged attacks, or, and this is going to seem odd, a Champion, slower than your typical caster, but tougher, and it's skills are very similar to those you would expect from a "caster".

Its because I tend to like ranged/caster types of classes instead of melee types of classes. Don't get me wrong though, I do like playing tanks and some times enjoy melee dps but generally speaking if I want to do a dps role I prefer the ranged approach. As far as the champion goes, I'm not to fond of shorter races and the dwarves in ROM kinda look odd to me lol.

Warlock/Mages are desired by most groups and can easily hold their own as a solo caster class.

• Warlock/Champion is probably the best caster dps in this game, can do really nice burn damage and one of the best sustained dps as well. Just you need a lot of TP and several setskills which are not necessarily easy to obtain. And the Psi system is pretty easy on Wl/Ch as well.

• yes, Dwarves are kind of "odd". From your further explanation I think you would be better off with Scout as Primary. Secondary class, well it's up to you. The Cheaper route would be Scout/Rogue as they can wear the same gear. Then Scout/Warden as an Elf as a good second choice. I'd stay away from Scout/Mage until you are comfortable as a scout.

• yes, Dwarves are kind of "odd". From your further explanation I think you would be better off with Scout as Primary. Secondary class, well it's up to you. The Cheaper route would be Scout/Rogue as they can wear the same gear. Then Scout/Warden as an Elf as a good second choice. I'd stay away from Scout/Mage until you are comfortable as a scout.

What's wrong with scout/mage? That's actually what I ended up picking up on my mage as his secondary but somehow the scout is now higher than the mage part lol. Is Scout/Mage difficult to play?

• No, I wouldn't say difficult to play ... it's just that you will need two different sets of gear, and stats.

In this dual-class system, you switch primary and secondary classes at the housemaid. Secondary class will always be same or lower than your Primary. For example, let's say you leveled your Mage to 15 then chose Scout as Secondary. It would show as M/S 15/1, that's a level 15 mage with a level 1 scout secondary. You now go to housemaid and switch to Scout Primary...boom, you are a S/M 1/1; level 1 Scout with level 1 Mage secondary. As you level your scout, the mage follows ... 2/2, then 3/3, then 4/4 etc until your scout exceeds your mage level then it would show as S/M 16/15, 17/15, and so on. Now you can switch back to Mage Primary and be a M/S 15/15. As a general rule of thumb ... I like to keep the classes within 5 levels of each other, just makes it easier for me in questing, same zone etc. Others do it differently, w/e. You can also do quests on your higher level and switch to turn them in on lower level as long as the quest is within 10 levels, i.e. you can turn in a level 30 quest on a level 20 class, but you cannot pick up the quest until your higher class level is within 2 levels of the quest. In this example, a level 28/20 could pick up a level 30 quest on their 28 side, complete it and turn in on their 20 side.