RoM REST API - possibilities?

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Hello, I was wondering if somehow RoM could get an API for use of grabbing in-game statistics? Endpoints for guild, character gear, character stats, and more would be a phenomenal addition.

I propose this because I am particularly interested in PvP, Siege War statistics, and lots more. I would like to make a fansite, but I don't see a whole lot of reason for it without an API. Also asking around and having a first impression as a new player I see a lot that could be improved on in the game; I would like to create a resource for gamers like myself that would help stimulate the player base activity. The idea is that I need an API to really engage my audience and create something we can really use. The alternative is using addons and ripping the API from that, which isn't really ideal...

Any thoughts, concerns, or ideas? I'de love to hear them.

Clearly there is a lot of work to be done, considering: http://www.rom-welten.de/en/ar…d575,0,rom_statistik.html

Name - Class/Class - Guild - Server

-----------------------------------------------------

Natalya - S/R- Soultakers - Phoenix

Thormin - C/R - Soultakers - Phoenix

"Animadverto"

"Rogues are very keen in their profession, and know already much more than we can teach them." - Alfred Charles Hobbs

Edited once, last by KevinK ().

• i see young blood here....

1st....try learn and then use advanced usage of browsers and how to search net

2nd...go way back in history and you will see how things were before...API is used here a lot....

3rd...since programming and math are close to you try put some Einstein in it :

PvP, Siege War statistics...can be relative and absolute...you can get relative results

if you count in hackers and boters...and you cant get absolute results cos you cant

have clear picture who bot and who not...

most of general statistic is done via lots of addons we use or individual server ranking in game option,,,another one is ingame house number assigned to each char ....

you can divide houses with 8 ...then again with 8...and let say once more....and you get average speculative numbers of players on server...

with that number in mind you will see that your work isnt worth much....

btw..if you have urge to mess with game better contact GF and do something for them....they always need help

• I appreciate your feedback and you make some valid points; I have a few questions.

have clear picture who bot and who not...

I feel this would be easy to determine if they sign up on my website; captcha, etc. it's not perfect but helps to narrow it down.

(quotes bbcode is broken here)

most of general statistic is done via lots of addons we use or individual server ranking in game option,,,another one is ingame house number assigned to each char ....

True, however not everyone is going to want to install said addon and the data can be tampered with on client side. With the house numbers it requires a client in-game; I am trying to avoid this. By hooking an API to the server directly it will be able to query the servers database and return results that are accurate and trustworthy. This is done with many other MMO's and various other online games and is fairly common. (I will avoid saying the names of said games here)

you can divide houses with 8 ...then again with 8...and let say once more....and you get average speculative numbers of players on server...

with that number in mind you will see that your work isnt worth much....

Number of players on the server is irrelevant, what we really need is _active_ players statistics which can be determined; again, via the website or a "last_activity" (like last_update date/time) marker in an API.

btw..if you have urge to mess with game better contact GF and do something for them....they always need help

I am attempting to do so here. I don't know of any other way to contact them except via support channels; which does not really fit for this inquiry and I figure it's best to avoid new ticket openings thereby wasting their time.

The alternative is to run a client 24/7 on a box with an addon and host my own API server. Limitations may be gear and equipment, and probably a whole host of other concerns. The main concern is that it's not very reliable; it's hard to trust a house made of cardboard.

As far as your 3 points go, I am missing the API used "here" are you refering to the forums or the client? In the client there is of course the LUA API, etc... it can be grabbed through client hacks (MITM), etc; but i'm not trying to go about it that way. This would be illegal and as a fansite is not setting a very good example.

"Animadverto"

"Rogues are very keen in their profession, and know already much more than we can teach them." - Alfred Charles Hobbs

Edited 2 times, last by KevinK ().

• well..you stated lots of things that break GF TOS....since this isnt Facebook or google i doubt they give you access to servers in any way....not to mention now when they linked it with Steam....from my and other players view we dont need even 1 function that will work during SW time...lots of year before GF had better ("better") statistic from SW....now is everyday problem manifested via guild matching system for SW...

BTW...we can have open few clients but for info about multiboxing better contact GF...better soon then latter...

• well..you stated lots of things that break GF TOS....since this isnt Facebook or google i doubt they give you access to servers in any way....not to mention now when they linked it with Steam....from my and other players view we dont need even 1 function that will work during SW time...lots of year before GF had better ("better") statistic from SW....now is everyday problem manifested via guild matching system for SW...

BTW...we can have open few clients but for info about multiboxing better contact GF...better soon then latter...

Well, you make a really valid point on GF ToS; they would need to be revised. I suppose making my own API is out of the question. I think GF should make an API so that people can have access under certain terms and limitations; those being requests per hour, how the data is used, etc. for a forum this could be amazing, consider a forum with statistics on their characters individually, those statistics can be made to do anything; some ideas are making a "ladder" system to rank members and reward them with contest prizes.

Another idea is that people can form "groups" groups of players statistics could be averaged out and ranked based on said statistics which would promote guild growth and competition. (say rank them in brackets like MMR) with multiple tiers it would not leave guilds behind; the primary issue i'm seeing is that there a few big guilds and noone really joins any others, not to mention its tough for users to advertise their guilds in the current build. (other than socializing, a fansite with these capabilities would magnify that reach and benefit users, and of course these forums, where i don't see _any_ guild recruiting threads...)

I realize the server/hardware limitations also present a problem for the entire company and would be difficult to change on a budget; to that i would say look at the forums and the feedback that is currently going around. This game has the potential for growth and can benefit from features like this. If people feel more involved with the game it will help the games health and activity which as anyone can see would help with sales in the long run, it's its own marketing machine.

As far as the games potential goes there's alot of work to be done; I don't know why it is not being done, my only guess is that it has to do with budgeting, manpower, etc. That is an entirely different matter and will derail this conversation entirely.

I don't want to see this game decline because it did nothing to innovate itself over the years, as I see it this is exactly the direction it's headed. I will say the time this game has been around tells me the game is doing something right, but it could be doing more. It's a hard call to make and one that would require alot of heads to come together and talk about it. Without real statistics form GF's end I couldn't make a judgement to say "okay, this needs to be done; this is the maths as to why"

I have absolutely no clue how GF makes it decisions but I have to guess there are some sort of analytics, use those to make this call and try to "bread crumb" these ideas. Even if it starts out small just to test the waters. I can imagine this is a list of changes needed:

1. Revised ToS.

2. Revised Hardware/server/bandwidth requirements.

3. Revised database arch. and administration changes.

4. changes to the server core code. (no idea what this is written in)

5. a new server specifically for web requests. (including all endpoints)

6. system for OAuth2 tokens for specific users, integrated with the users individual profiles.

7. localization

8. documentation for all said changes.

As a minimal test run:

1. revised ToS.

2. tested Hardware/server/bandwidth requirements.

3. Revised database arch. (less tables in minimal, if any at all)

4. smaller changes to the server core code.

5. a new server specifically for web requests. (one simple endpoint for something small but useful)

6. localization

7. documentation for said changes.

(probably missing some things here, just a quick rough draught)

Upon googling, found lots of contacts!

"Animadverto"

Edited 14 times, last by KevinK ().

• you knocking on wrong address ,ROM, same as bunch of other games is based on franchisng ,,,and real designer (99.99 % of work on this game ) is done by Runewaker ...Korea,Taiwan,China or whoever work for them...

GF is in localization,monetizing and it has small influence on random events ,game is based on 10 or more year old engine and most of new content is generic ..with few new ideas....

only fact is that ROM is game with large content ( for new player ) ,and if you wish properly play it you need 1-3 year of time....to say it has potential is unreal...it can just be improved....

• you knocking on wrong address ,ROM, same as bunch of other games is based on franchisng ,,,and real designer (99.99 % of work on this game ) is done by Runewaker ...Korea,Taiwan,China or whoever work for them...

GF is in localization,monetizing and it has small influence on random events ,game is based on 10 or more year old engine and most of new content is generic ..with few new ideas....

only fact is that ROM is game with large content ( for new player ) ,and if you wish properly play it you need 1-3 year of time....to say it has potential is unreal...it can just be improved....

Ah, I was under the impression GF was Runewaker. I understand what you are saying; I should clarify that I meant this game has the potential for more players than it currently has with features that engage players more. To generate more content off existing content in other words.

"Animadverto"