Diamond Reduction - Slap in the Face!

• Does anyone else feel that the diamond tariff change is a slap in the face for the longterm players? I came back to game (previously left since game was too expensive for a highschool student...now that I have a "big" boy job I can spend a few every so often, so i wanted to come back to this game that I loved) and there is no way I'm willing to pay at the "regular" prices. Cool, they increased the diamonds you get for the "regular" price now...but as far as I understand, that means they are reducing that promo diamond amount you get? If i'm reading this wrong, can someone clarify?

I know, if I get less diamonds than which I normally would spending $100 on a sale, then I definitely will not buy the diamonds, since they are giving me even less. Returning player about to no longer play because of this ridiculousness.

Other peoples thoughts?

"For a long time, Runes of Magic has suffered from a major disparity in there being a major price imbalance for Diamonds between regular periods and happy hours.

This situation made it very difficult to set appropriate prices for new and discounted items in the shop. We want to ensure that our item prices are both fair and balanced.

In order to solve this problem, we’re changing our tariffs. From now on you’ll receive more Diamonds when buying, while simultaneously reducing the bonus amount during happy hours.

We hope this change will bridge the major divide as it currently stands and smooth out the pricing imbalances. Look out for more changes and alterations to the shop over the coming weeks and months.

The RoM Team"

my comments for each part of the above.

1st: it suffered because the prices are absolutely rediculous and the sales price makes it worth to kind of buy

2nd: it made it difficult? What? I don't like this sentence one bit...if you wanted to make sure item prices are both fair and balanced...then dont slap people who wait to buy diamonds at better prices by reducing the amount they are going to get...

3rd: So they think fixing an issue of over priced diamonds is to sell the "regular" non sale priced diamonds and you get a little bit more but if you are patient and want to buy at actually fair prices, they are going to reduce the amount you get??? how does that make sense.

4th: you recognize there is a gap...reason being, the prices are rediculous as they are, the "regular" sales are still expensive but a lot more fair than the "regular" prices...but somehow you guys think that means you should give us even less diamonds now for the same amount of money paid????

Thanks

Edited 3 times, last by Wama ().

• The net effect of this change: We get slightly more diamonds ( like 300 diamonds per $100 US ) for "regular" diamond purchase; but promotions will be more expensive.

ie, we used to have 50% off sales on, say, puri's... 19 dias normally, 9 or 10 dias on Happy Hour... Now, GF will probably sell them "on sale" for 17 diamonds so you'd "save" 2 diamonds vs buying it at regular prices.

Just an example, but yeah.. the sales team has yet, again, decided to stick it up our butts without any lube and pretend we liked it.

My guess is that the GF sales team interned at Verizon: https://arstechnica.com/tech-p…-itself-for-saving-lives/

• Hello ycavan, thank you for elaborating more. This could be even worse than what I was thinking originally...i wonder how drastically it will be different. Some BS I tell you haha. I do enjoy the game a lot and am happy to spend money on it, but only when it's to receive a fair amount of diamonds and only when the diamond costs of items are reasonable. Crazy to think they want to milk the cow more than it is able to produce!

• The post is purely about diamond cost, not about item cost. They're making the off-sale diamonds less expensive, and also making the diamond sales a bit less of a boost. The goal is exactly as stated in the pasted text: "smooth out the pricing".

Since we haven't had a diamond sale since it went into effect, the only result so far is that if you spent 20$ on diamonds 3 days ago you'd get a smaller quantity of diamonds than you'd have gotten if you spend 20$ today.

Such greedy. So faceslap. Wow.

What I take away from this is that the playerbase is so used to feeling 'milked' that they can't imagine any change might have a benefit.

Maybe my opinion will change when the first diamond promo rolls around, but until then I'm content.

• some people just can't be happy. The game is free to play but not free to operate. Pony up if you can, enjoy the game without the perks of diamonds if you prefer.

We have a like button on forum posts. How about a thumb down button?

• So let's put it this way:

In this forum post ALL figures are purely for example and do not reflect ANY real world figures or numbers.

OLD SYSTEM:

Diamonds regularly are $50 for 3,000.

During a diamond promo 140% you get 7,200 for the same $50. (3000x2.4=7200), x2.4 because you get 140% MORE.

NEW SYSTEM:

Diamonds are now $50 for 3,500.

Diamond promos only may go to 105% now. During that max 105% promo you still get (nearly) the same amount. (3500x2.05=7175)

Remember that these are just examples but kind of show how I believe its going to work. Like I said, I don't have the real figures in front of me but if this is not what happens, then I'll eat my words.

Note there will always be variations due to the fixed bonuses and region differences and payment type selection, etc etc.

• you can stop with the irony and get down of your high horse. ITS OUR 20$ or whatever the amount it is. So we have the choice to express whatever we want or understand that GF is doing.

And on another hand, you have to be the biggest moron to spend more then 10$ outside of Dia promo. So this increase of dias outside sale, we dont give a <blank> about it.

• Guys, the entire ecosystem is tied together.. purchasing diamonds -> purchasing IS items.. all of it together factors into the cost of the game.

I'm reminded of when I worked for a large grocery chain that had union labour. Everyone was always excited about their guaranteed 25 cent raise or whatever every year. I also noticed that store prices went up around 35 to 50 cents on products every year.

When I pointed out to my co-workers this was happening, their response was ( what I assume the GF sales team would want to hear from us ): Yeah! things are always getting more expensive, so I NEED this raise to feed my family.

I was flabbergasted because I asked them point blank.. don't you think the automatic raise is part of this built-in inflation? All I got was blank stares.

Back on topic, yes, it is awesome of GF to give out more diamonds per "normal" purchase & most people would be ecstatic to hear this news if the 2nd shoe didn't drop: there will be less of a discount in IS items.. that have 0 physical inventory, that have 0 physical value.. yet, this commodity will go up in price.

& yes, this is GF's game to publish & we're playing in their playground, but people have stated for years that this game is getting prohibitively expensive & GF can't seem to wrap their heads around that statement.

• & yes, this is GF's game to publish & we're playing in their playground, but people have stated for years that this game is getting prohibitively expensive & GF can't seem to wrap their heads around that statement.

instead of listening to the community they just make it more expensive, really awesome logic here

SoVvjsU.png

• The entire announcement refers to base amount of diamonds changed, and diamond multipliers from promos (those are called Happy Hoursl, too) only.

Anything regarding ITEM Happy Hours or other discounts IN the itemshop, or changes at all, is basically only referred to in the last sentence.

Edit: The hell , 4 new Posts in between me writing this short one -.-

[This user speaks English on a near native level.]

[This user speaks German on a native level.]

[This user can curse in a variety of languages.]

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.....with epic skill and epic gear

• What exactly was the point of this change? Anyone with more sense than money is still only going to buy diamonds when there is a promo on, and now they get less than before, even if it is only a marginal amount, seems like a really unnecessary change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (140% dia promos are one of the few things about the game that didn't need changing)

• 3-a9a3f726f834164a5e0cdcc3bdb14eb9c33f50ac.jpg

Celes wrote:

I do not think we would have promotions for diamonds around 100% or more. RoM will now have Diamond HH values known from our other games.

You should start eating your words.

• If I am reading recent posts from forum "staff" right, what you are saying is:

1. People buying at regular diamond prices will get more diamonds.

2. When the next diamond promo comes round, don't expect to see 140% but something like 100% so that we will still get the same number of diamonds on this new promo as we used to under the old 140% promo.

3. The announcement does not refer to pricing in the item shop, either regular or under any promotions that happen at the weekend.

The confusion came from refering to Diamond Promos as Happy Hours. While this may happen somewhere, I don't believe the community refers to diamond promos as anything other than diamond promos.

• 1) yes

2) I'm not familiar with all of the USD tariffs, I would guess that they have kept in mind that the US tariffs didnt change by 50% like the EU tariffs did, where a 60-64% promo multiplier would now be equivalent to old 140% -- so just use this, which I made for my EU table in the other thread :

[ old_basevalue*(1+(promo%/100)) + (old_fixbonus - new_fixbonus) ] / new_basevalue

The result is the new promo bonus needed to reach parity with a given old promo value.

TODO: [Insert actual example here once I found the old_basevalue -values]

random example without real values: [1000*(1+(140/100))+(250-100) ]/ 2000 = 1.275

read: If the old amount was 1000 diamonds with 250 bonus , and the new amount is 2000 diamonds with 100 bonus, a previous 140% promotion is now equivalent to a 27.5% promotion. THESE ARE EXAMPLE VALUES

3) correct.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• @Saito: Aqua did some of the math earlier:

$50 for 3k diamonds = 7200 diamonds @ 140% ( 2.4x )

If we used your 30% ( rounding up ) sale with a 3500 diamond base value for $50?

3500 x 1.3 ( 30% ) = 4550

& if Celes is right that we won't even get 100% diamonds sale?

3500 x 2 ( 100% ) = 7000

I brought up the Item sales thing based on the Celes's response to the broken promos thread where she stated that GF's stance is now that Item 50% Happy Hours no longer exist w/ the Sunday sales so items will be randomly sold for any percentage off.

People buy diamonds to buy item shoppe items.. all a circle of jerk. ( I bet you thought I was going to say life :) ) The new system is more expensive.

• So let's change my example.

So in my example above the old non-sale value was 3000 and now the new non-sale value is 3900.
    On a normal 140% we would get 7200 (3000x2.40=7200). On a new promo that's only 85% (more) we would get 7215 (3900x1.85=7215).

The math ends up being the same, It really depends on how the new diamond promos are set versus what was. After the AMA with Phelan and the expression on how expensive the game is from the community that Gameforge wouldn't reduce the amount of diamonds we get with our promos. And if they do then I would gladly join the rage train (we have yet to see a diamond promo so I can't quite eat my words and join you yet). Remember us GM's play the game and most of us buy diamonds, too.

Note if someone has the old values I will gladly work out the math for those that are too lazy and just jump on rage trains without knowing what's going on.

• Celes wrote on the Polish forum that new diamonds promotions will by 20% - 50% ;)

Korim

Knight < 100 > Mage

8o=O<X   Ignis Guild   ||?(;(

Wychylylybymy - RIP

Mementomori - RIP

Ignis - RIP

Korim - OFF

• Yeah, that needs further clarifications because the base increases were different for different currencies (see my posts in the EU-DE thread for the EUR table), so does the parity point change.

Needless to say, increase base value by 30-45% , reduce MAX multiplier from 2,4 to 1,5 doesn't cancel each other out.

For EUR the parity point would now be around a 60-64% promo, depending on which package size you look at.

for what it's worth these are the actual USD packages now, old data might be helpful:

Code: current default diamond pricing, USD
    1. | Bonus diamonds:
    2. 135 / 4,99 | +5
    3. 270 / 9,99 | +10
    4. 650 / 19,99 | +20
    5. 1800 / 49,99 | +50
    6. 4200 / 99,99 | +100
    7. 8540 / 199,99 | +200