[ADDONS] Settings randomly reset

• Hi!

I have experienced rather irritating problem, where the addon settings randomly reset. The positions and different preferences I have set gets reset, including the in-game action bars.

Problem isn't related to crashing, since it usually has happened after I quit the game normally. Does anyone know what causes this, or is there some place where the addon/ui settings gets stored, So I could backup them and restore after this problem occurs. It is very tedious to configure all the mods all over again.

-Kkello

• Hi,

It is not write-protected (Read Only tick is unchecked). The settings do get saved and the game remembers my configurations but sometimes they are reset.

So is this 'SaveVariables.lua' where the settings are saved? If I make a backup of this file and restore it after the settings get reset, would the values get back to normal?

• Yes it would, but the settings save after you relog, crashes dont cause them to save. Therefore if you are relogging normally and still having your settings reset, this wouldn't work as the settings in the file wouldn't be your configured settings.

• I have been getting this recently on Idun toons, had lootomatic reset on me a couple of days ago and had GCI reset a couple of weeks back. Its not a general reset problem, its random addons resetting for no apparent reason.

I've also had individual icons/skills randomly change on action bars.

Its really weird and I haven't figured out why it happens.

I've also had full interface resets on one char when zoning or leaving minigames or battlefield. I think this one is related to having server save enabled on that char.

• Happened to me couple of times when i closed many windows very fast.. And regular backups of user-folder/documents/Runes of Magic/ is a good idea.

• Your savevariables folder updates after every logout. If you make changes to your interface and have it on read only obviously these changes do not get saved.

However it is more likely to reset on a forceful logout. This can be a crash, close with taskmanager or leaving the game while still somewhere in a loading screen. It can also happen totally random :rolleyes:

You notice it either upon next login or if you look at the file size of your Runes of Magic folder located in ...\documents

As already pointed out it's a hidden folder. You can save the work of having to completely redo your interface by copying this folder and update it regulary with newer back ups. It does not matter where you save this copy.

• Aah, gotcha.. I'll just keep the savevariables up to date and replace it with a working one in a case of reset :/ Too bad though it can happen randomly :(

• Update:

I did a little digging and found out that yGather stores the resource database on the 'savevariables'. I got a little suspicious and uninstalled the mod and the random resetting of 'savevariables' seems to have disappeared.

Don't quote me on this, but my theory is that when you play and yGather gathers info about resource locations and when you exit the game and the data is saved. If the yGather data is big enough the file write could maybe fail before all the data has been succesfully saved, which means corrupted file -> RoM client creates a new, clean file. Or the file gets too big to read and it fails at that point :/

I dunno, I need more time to see if the problem is really gone, but I suggest that if you have yGather installed and this problem occurs, try disabling the mod and see if it helps.

• The problem will still occur, the game is just badly designed that sometimes a severe crash and cause the save variables to delete all the addon data inside it.

Yeah, of course crashes can cause this, but I had this problem without crashing and just normally logging off / closing the client :o

• The point is some addons' load is higher than other ones, which makes savevariables more likely to reset; Thank you for your science Kkello :)

ygather can be useful but with the amount of spots saved (does it even delete old spots?) it must be a horrible amount of data

• Novar

Closed the thread.