Game Crash

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Dear Devs

I played rom back in 2009-11 ,spent a lot of cash on dias for my chars .

there was a few problems with game back then 1 of the worst was the game crash ,ROM is now on steam which means it`s gotten a revievel (new players coming in and old coming back ).

BUT the game still crashes :cursing::cursing::cursing:

You had almost 7 years to fix the problem ( dont say its because of my pc as this thing is only 1 year old and every other game i play works fine ).

• The game crashes because of a known memory leak. The only way to really fix it is if they were to re-code it and that would take too much to fix. also, having a newer computer is not the best. A lot of people have found out that an older computer can run the game a lot better with fewer crashes than someone with a newer computer. you also can crash because of add-ons... if you use them. so if you use add-ons, you might want to remove the add-ons one at a time to see if any of them could be causing the problem.

• Sadly it is true. By reducing settings you can manage to play the game a bit better especially view distance matters a lot.

SoVvjsU.png

• Because your PC takes the game better obviously.

Others need to reduce crashes by putting the settings lower. That is nothing to do with your luck.

• memory cleanup software running

what's the name of the soft you're using ?

Can you list your addons ?

For Steam client players there's an option to set de maximum amount or RAM used by the client ( maxMEM=1536 for eg.)

I'm curious if it's possible on windows clients / old accounts to prevent the client to use more than 1536 or 1024 Mo of RAM...

And if this can fix game crashes :/

• That is if the game in question actually implements such a parameter in the first place, and is, to my knowledge, totally independent of Steam.

If that's not the case, can you point to a Steam Documenation with those parameters?

[This user speaks English on a near native level.]

[This user speaks German on a native level.]

[This user can curse in a variety of languages.]

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.....with epic skill and epic gear

• I am not sure if this software is responsable for not having game crashes but it's a fact that I usually don't have any. There are just some exceptions: porting a couple times in a row or going to dalanis and moving to fast over there.

I bring up the addon-list later today... you can find the software in the annex.

Do you join sw too? An actual sw with 10+ players for each side?

Cause is in Sw players experience the most annoying crashes.

Wiped at 0% Will's Curse - Medusa - Andriol - Vrantal - Charionys - Naos - Yawaka - Gugolar

• funny 9yrs, and we're still thinking we can stop the crashing on our end, sorry folks nothing you do will stop the crashing, turn your settings down walk don't ride in cities, turn all addons off, Tried it all....... love the game hate the (you fill in the blank)......

• :D:D:D

Crycry R/M/Wd/W/S/D

Grümpy Wl/Ch/M/P/R/W

Just an old and humble legend :)

• Honestly ? Wishful thinking.

It has more to do with the fact that shop integration for the Steam API relies on things that are buiilt-in into Windows (and It's API) that simply do not exist unter Windows pre-7.

Also, Windows XP and Windows Vista are both completely out of any support by Microsoft.

[This user speaks English on a near native level.]

[This user speaks German on a native level.]

[This user can curse in a variety of languages.]

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Trust me, I'm an engineer.....with epic skill and epic gear

• Still no fixes ....

More crashes with the new launcher and reduced settings:

[display]

windowed width=1900

windowed height=1000

fullscreen width=1920

fullscreen height=1080

windowed mode=1

quality=0

[ui]

ui scale mode=1

ui scale=0.750000

[visual detail]

view distance=1500

camera distance=100

terrain detail class=0

sky detail=0

texture detail=3

debase texture=0

splat detail=0

terrain shader detail=0

rtlightmap enable=0

rtlightmap size=128

shadow detail=3

disable memory warning=1

[character detail]

paperdoll detail=2

[visual effects]

bloom=0

water reflection=0

water refraction=0

distort fx=0

specular highlight=0

• Fixing the memory leak would require so much work in the game engine that i don't see runewaker performing(they cant even fix the sql injection vulnerabilities that have been in the source since the start).

There is programs that will remove the excess memory from the client which is what the client fails to do, resulting in the crash when it reaches too much memory used. The programs will not stop crashes as if the client uses too much memory before it can be released, it'll still going to crash.

64 bit client would help the issue slightly, but it's still not going to fix the problem.

Reduce your client settings, mostly the view distance and texture settings, should help a bit.

• I find that Character detail and view distance are the two settings that affect crashing the most. You can put Character detail on lowest setting and still play, game is just uglier. But View distance.. well you can't really play with it set on lowest so move it around to see what works best for you. I have mine just above halfway. All the other settings can be on lowest with no noticeable affect on play.

Also, pause for a while after every transport. Consider re-logging before anything important.

Also, get a memory manager program, preferably one that automatically cleans every few seconds.