Use of macros should be restricted!

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Oh the good ol' discussion about macros. Before this is getting heated up too much, let's make clear that macros without client manipulation (which is not allowed and not subject of this thread) don't make you able to automate stuff for too long.

If you are convinced that client manipulation is in play, submit a ticket to support and we will investigate.

Obviously macros are supposed to make your game life more enjoyable and many players can't imagine their life without them anymore. Would the game still be playable without macros?

Certainly, but...

It would make alot of tasks more complicated than they need to be especially for the most basic ones that players use on a daily base.

For instance (hah.) how will you make a use of your siege war skills, when you have to go through a list of titles, use a skill and then switch back? It's possible, but unnessecary tedious. Also, plot twist, you might want to use your siege war skills sometimes, you know, in an actual siege war.

Kitty combo, DIYCE:

It doesn't work on it's own. You have to adjust these addons yourself to your playstyle and more important: Buttons need to be pressed.

Personally, I'd like to know from every anti-macro person:
    Are you against macros because players who use macros beat you on each encounter or are you generally against macros because you think you only face automated tasks?

• Personally, I'd like to know from every anti-macro person:
    Are you against macros because players who use macros beat you on each encounter or are you generally against macros because you think you only face automated tasks?

Let me try :D

I would single out 3 categories:

1) People are narrow-minded, conservative, not accepting progress.

2) People are lazy. Someone will say not smart enough, but no, just lazy. Macros are not that complicated.

3) People who aren't good enough at the game and get killed anyway (with or without macros) who will always blame someone or something for their failures. When an attempt to vine on macros fails, a new topic with a new reason is quite possible (for example, to ban the pvp set or Pantheon HM weapons and other nonsense).

• ok hot take coming
    If you know me or seen videos you know I don't struggle in pvp this is pretty unbiased

Total removal of macros would be ridiculous, that's not what was suggested though. First post says only limiting in PVP, If this was just for siege I would be down for that. I'll take a couple inconveniences to solve barrier alts, autoimmunes, buff checks, full attack rotations. Sure if you are really good you can get around these but anyone using those things has a MASSIVE advantage over those who don't.

There are other games that limit a lot of stuff for pvp this really isn't that unheard of. From locking/nerfing skills to full gear removal for the battlefield. This is done to even the odds to make it more fair for everyone.

All the automation is boring from both sides, even if you're the one killing them all the time. If I want to fight bots I'll play Perfect Dark 64.
    I would say this is 20% of the reason I don't siege anymore(including barrier alts) the other 80% being warlock speed completely breaking logged position

Now I would prefer to pvp like that everyone having 1 button per skill actually manually playing their characters BUT even if they disabled macros in siege zone we all know people would find ways around it even as simple as using logitech software.
    So I like the idea but no don't do it as it will do nothing and only widen the gap.

• I don't think macros can give you much advantage, some addons maybe. But who cares, you can just use a rogue/priest to take a tower invi in the last few seconds. The only decent improvement ever made in SW was make the guards interrupt even with fearless and that lasted only 2 weeks until they said something didnt worked as intended and let it die. So dont expect anything harder than that to be done ever.

Crycry R/M/Wd/W/S/D

Grümpy Wl/Ch/M/P/R/W

Just an old and humble legend :)

• use of macros is in fact restricted . read the end license user agreement .

you wont see bots on the bosses in runes of magic .

as far as pvp goes if anyone sets up a pvp macro bot in say a siege . gms do exist .

never be afraid to send to support .

• restricting would just further add to the 'play km wlch pr or bad' meta that we find ourselves in. Auto immunes can be quite annoying if set up well, but manual play in most cases can still compete just fine with any autox. Classes just arent balanced very well, thats all there is to it.

Game would also get rly messy if addons/macros would be allowed in pve but not pvp. If disabled for pve too then gets even worse. Nobody wants to go back to, or further add to, w/m meta which is pure braindead

• Do not talk foolishly. Cry? So funny. What I just want is that no macros are used during PVP. Your comment that you are unable to understand what I want to say is very childish. Please don't try to humiliate people with your mind, which wouldn't weigh 10 grams if I put it on the scale. You are really funny. I just gave my opinion and wanted to get people's opinion, that's all. and no, it is neither right nor fair to use macros in PVP. Because you don't beat the player, the macro does. Contrary to what you think, not everyone cries when they're defeated like you.

• Do not talk foolishly. Cry? So funny. What I just want is that no macros are used during PVP. Your comment that you are unable to understand what I want to say is very childish. Please don't try to humiliate people with your mind, which wouldn't weigh 10 grams if I put it on the scale. You are really funny. I just gave my opinion and wanted to get people's opinion, that's all. and no, it is neither right nor fair to use macros in PVP. Because you don't beat the player, the macro does. Contrary to what you think, not everyone cries when they're defeated like you.

which kind of macro!? how do you think macros work? so far you are clearly showing that you yourself are not able to understand what YOU want.

how i (and all other guys) said: there are many other possibilities to execute lua code in rom. Disabling macros in pvp would change exactly nothing.

so what do you want? no lua code in pvp? thats not possible without disabling the complete addon api and even there are a few possibilities to execute lua code ingame.

• So theoretically it's not possible to disable the macro only during pvp, that's what you mean? If this is the case then there is nothing you can do. I don't want to be as precise as you, as I'm not an expert on game structure. However, nothing is impossible in the software world.

• it is possible. But you can also write the code in an addon instead of in a macro and then create a button (e.g. like a minimap button) via which you then call up the code (i.e. the macro/addon). so macros were disabled but people could still use them -> zero impact on the game

so if macros are banned -> use an addon

the kind of guys you mean use 99.9% addons instead of macros. At most, a macro is used to call up the addons, but as I said ... it can also be done differently.

if you ban addons, you can simply overwrite interface files with your own code (that would be forbidden, but cannot really be retraced)

and even if you want to ban addons it would include so much parts of the game, that it almost would be easier for runewaker to write a complete new client (every function you can call with addons are used in other stuff like your interface (f.e. if you change your target the function UnitBuff("target") and many other functions are called)

• Is something like this possible? Can't there be a DEBUFF that is active during PVP or Siege map or Stomping ground map and stops the use of macros? For example, similar to this, when we enter the Ancient Treasue mini game as you know, we can't use skills and we can't use macros. Could there be something similar to this?

• Is something like this possible? Can't there be a DEBUFF that is active during PVP or Siege map or Stomping ground map and stops the use of macros? For example, similar to this, when we enter the Ancient Treasue mini game as you know, we can't use skills and we can't use macros. Could there be something similar to this?

you can't use skills but you still can use macros with that debuff.

there is a huge difference between execute an skill and use an macro. if you want to disable skills you only need to disable 2 (from ~10.000) functions

if you want to disable all kind of macros the game must completly rewritten which includes that addons won't work anymore (even in pve - as long as addons work, there is still a way to run macros).

everytime you press TAB you execute lua code (similar to a macro). everytime you change your target you execute lua code (similar to a macro) and so on. there is no difference.

• Dev-

You've made clear your frustration with macros. If Gameforge decided to hold a vote on whether to ban macros during siege, you would be resoundingly defeated.

I have an addon that tracks macros. I don't even know which one it is, or maybe it's part of the actual game. Every time I call up certain festival mounts, I get a warning in red letter letters in the chat box that identifies it as an "unknown macro". The whole game runs on macros. I'm borrowing this explanation from Wkipedia -"In computer programming, a macro (short for "macro instruction"; from Greek μακρο- 'long, large'[1]) is a rule or pattern that specifies how a certain input should be mapped to a replacement output." Runewaker and most other game programmers copy and paste groups of code together for a large oart of the game. It's just easier than rewriting the same lines of code over and over a zillion times.

The best suggestion I have for you, and I made this same suggestion earlier in this thread, is to learn how to write macros and use them. Whether you do that or not, macros are NOT why you get gacked during siege. I don't use them at all, yet on the rare occasion that I do siege, I manage to kll more than I get killed. If you get upset about being sent back to the roof, stop going to siege. You have dragged this thread through 2 pages, and yet you have not converted a single player to your cause. Let's talk about something else for a while, okay?

• Well, I'm giving up. But using macros during pvp obviously doesn't seem right and fair to me, and whatever you say, this will not change. Based on this, I realized that the game could not be more favorable and fair for pvp, and for that I am sorry. And yes I know It's my opinion.

• Let's all make the game easier for the one percent of players that don't understand what macros are.

By forcing those who have taken the time to learn and build them to do without? Then let's ban PVP gear from siege to keep the game even for those players who haven't made the effort to build gear specifically for siege. NOT!!

• But using macros during pvp obviously doesn't seem right and fair to me,

It is fair because you have access to the same macro commands as everyone else. If you choose not to use them, it's on you. I don't use macros because I don't want to spend the time to figure them out. That's on me. Eventually, I will have to use them to improve my overall efficiency in various aspects of the game.

• Well, I'm giving up. But using macros during pvp obviously doesn't seem right and fair to me, and whatever you say, this will not change. Based on this, I realized that the game could not be more favorable and fair for pvp, and for that I am sorry. And yes I know It's my opinion.

Unfortunately I still don't know which macros you actually mean. So what action (or kind of action) do the players do with a macro that brings them an advantage? Do you have an example for us?