Use of macros should be restricted!

Welcome to the forums of Runes of Magic EN & US

Rules and Guidelines: Game Rules - Community Guidelines - Terms of Use - RoM Servers Status

Customer Support: EN/EU Customer Support - US Customer Support

Get in touch with us: Join our Discord!
  • Do players have to know macros to play the game? However, players who use macros give themselves an advantage in the PVP situation. And this topic is really bothering me.

The use of macros should be restricted for Siege Stomping Ground and any kind of pvp. what are your ideas? What do you think about this topic?

• which kind of macros do you mean?

it's not that easy to distinguish between macros and addons (if you can't run an macro, you can easily write that code in an addon and run it with an ingame-button)

so if you wanna ban macros, it's the same for addons in pvp.

that means no auto-trade, no combat engine, no interface addons, no info addons (xbar, pbinfo, zzinfobar, osv,...)

• I don't think players need to know or use macros to play the game properly, but I do think macros make the game easier in many aspects. I personally use macros to automate generic processes like my buff rotations and to create shortcuts for e.g. title changes.

The unrestricted use of macros in PVP is definitely debatable, however I don't see any way to create PVP guidelines or even rules since the use of macros is provided for in the game and therefore legal.

Every player has the possibility to use macros, even in PVP. I support the exchange of macros (e.g. in the forum) to offer the benefit to players without knowledge of logical programming and to push the development of new macros by the community.

p2in4hgq.png

• The use of macros should be restricted for Siege Stomping Ground and any kind of pvp.

Macros aren't hard to write. There are websites that will explain it to you. If you choose not to learn it, then don't limit someone else. No one is stopping you from using them and they are free. If you can't beat the macro crowd, become a part of the macro crowd.

• Oh absolutely some macros/addons in pvp are completely ridiculous. You'll get people with a full combat engine that will autoimmune on certain bleeds/debuffs, full buff check, full damage rotation and target nearest player all in 1 single button they bind to scroll wheel and just walk around scrolling.

high-skill-game.jpg

I dont see anyway of stopping it at this point now. Certain scripts/commands would have to be disabled in the zone and I doubt that'd ever happen.

• Oh absolutely some macros/addons in pvp are completely ridiculous. You'll get people with a full combat engine that will autoimmune on certain bleeds/debuffs, full buff check, full damage rotation and target nearest player all in 1 single button they bind to scroll wheel and just walk around scrolling.

yeah but such kind of stuff is predictable af :D when i notice that my opponent is immunized if i cast skill xy then i'll activate it every time he targeted me so i can kill him easier after that :D (there are a lot of predictable player out there ;)

yeah but such kind of stuff is predictable af :D when i notice that my opponent is immunized if i cast skill xy then i'll activate it every time he targeted me so i can kill him easier after that :D (there are a lot of predictable player out there ;)

I hope players like Ainz will be ban forever but unfortunately that not going to happen.

Sad thing is that they can't realize or denid to admit that they are abusing rules in this game. lacking of GM and GF interactions about this give more and more players opporunity to break the rules. What was bannable now its common. And abusers are laughing ...

No need to waste energy /time in this forum.

• to make it clear: I am also in favor of deactivating addons and macros in pvp. however, many people would then probably not play pvp at all, not least because many classes without a combat engine only have a fraction of the potential (and unfortunately these are not the meta classes in SW like K/M).

However, I don't see the problem as precarious enough that something should have to be changed with priority (there are 100 other things where it would make more sense to fix/adjust).

and as i said before: the players who do everything with macros or combatengines are often the ones who are easiest to kill in sw, because their style of play is very predictable.

players who (supposedly) don't use such macros are much more dangerous. (this also presupposes that you are able to understand the way your opponent plays, which is more difficult in stomping ground than in sw due to the lack of an resspawn)

• which kind of macros do you mean?

it's not that easy to distinguish between macros and addons (if you can't run an macro, you can easily write that code in an addon and run it with an ingame-button)

so if you wanna ban macros, it's the same for addons in pvp.

that means no auto-trade, no combat engine, no interface addons, no info addons (xbar, pbinfo, zzinfobar, osv,...)

Why shouldn't it be easy? It shouldn't be that hard to understand whether an object in the Action bar is a Macro or not.

• I don't think players need to know or use macros to play the game properly, but I do think macros make the game easier in many aspects. I personally use macros to automate generic processes like my buff rotations and to create shortcuts for e.g. title changes.

The unrestricted use of macros in PVP is definitely debatable, however I don't see any way to create PVP guidelines or even rules since the use of macros is provided for in the game and therefore legal.

Every player has the possibility to use macros, even in PVP. I support the exchange of macros (e.g. in the forum) to offer the benefit to players without knowledge of logical programming and to push the development of new macros by the community.

I am absolutely not against using it in dungeons or while farming. don't get me wrong. I think it should be banned only in pvp actions...

• did you read my second sentence? if macros are banned everyone would simply put their macros is addons and nothing changed. so you would not use a macro in the action bar, but an addon button.

• Actually regardless, I don't think it's impossible. If this is desired to be prevented, it can be done.

I am absolutely not against using it in dungeons or while farming. don't get me wrong. I think it should be banned only in pvp actions...

But if i want to use macros for these kind of actions in pvp i would be limited. It would remain a selective restriction of individual macro functions and code blocks. However, I think this is extremely unlikely.

p2in4hgq.png

• Actually regardless, I don't think it's impossible. If this is desired to be prevented, it can be done.

yes, it can be done but it wouldn't be that easy

either individual functions would have to be deactivated (which would bring us back to the topic of exactly which ones that would be) or the entire addon api would be deactivated in pvp, which means that no addons would work anymore

• I want to understand the OP's position on macros. The problem is this-If the rotation is done through the Kitty Combo or DIY Combat Engine ADD_ON, then you are saying it's okay. But if the same rotation is achieved using a macro, that's bad. Can you define the difference so it makes sense? I don't use macros because I am too lazy to build them, and I tried DIYCE, but again, too much work for something that should be fun. I am not defending macros in PVP because I am guilty of that sin, but because I don't feel you really understand the "big picture".

• It is well known that the top-tier guilds have macros that can do things like auto-target and attack an enemy. I have seen a player bunny-hopping across a seige field and, when an enemy gets within range, while hopping the player instantly attacks and one-shots the enemy. This is auto-targetting and should be banable.

One the other hand, all my toons have simple macros to automate my primary and secondary combat sequences so I press a single key and launch a series of attacks with perfect timing. This is done without any add-on, just using the game mechanics, and should be totally allowable.

Wiki.png?version=4b4e55609c0a0a40661789aa561decddBludwyng [The RoM Wiki-Ferret]

Mithrandyr (Wd/D/S), Bludwyng (W/M), Elbehreth (M/D/S), Giblet (Wk/P/M), Grymjack (K/W), Donaldubh (R/S/P), & Reuxpierre (Ch/M/W), Malcontent (M/R/Wk), Bludborne (W/R), Wikiferret (P/M), Romwiki (M/D/Wd), Kerfuffle (C/M), & Carboncopy (P/Wk) on Ayvenas

Admin of The RoM Wiki at https://runesofmagic.fandom.com

Steam profile: Bludwyng

• It is well known that the top-tier guilds have macros that can do things like auto-target and attack an enemy. I have seen a player bunny-hopping across a seige field and, when an enemy gets within range, while hopping the player instantly attacks and one-shots the enemy. This is auto-targetting and should be banable.

is it? i didn't see anyone ever use something like that - neither as their enemy nor in sw videos. some guys are good at picking a target, others are really bad. maybe the guy you mentioned just use TAB? i mean... idk how other guys play pvp but if i see an enemy (even while "bunny-hopping") i kill him in an instant xD this is nothing for which you need any addons or macros

there are some target-addons like https://www.curseforge.com/rom/addons/target but not many use such stuff because it increases critical errors which is in sw a huge problem

• I want to understand the OP's position on macros. The problem is this-If the rotation is done through the Kitty Combo or DIY Combat Engine ADD_ON, then you are saying it's okay. But if the same rotation is achieved using a macro, that's bad. Can you define the difference so it makes sense? I don't use macros because I am too lazy to build them, and I tried DIYCE, but again, too much work for something that should be fun. I am not defending macros in PVP because I am guilty of that sin, but because I don't feel you really understand the "big picture".

If PVP action and Dungeon action are the same thing to you, I have nothing to tell you, my friend.